Republicans have alot of work to do....

Republicans have alot of work to do....

Postby lesterBfearsome » Jan 28, 2009 2:53 pm

Gallup is in the midst of releasing a series of data from the more than 350,000 interviews that it conducted over the course of its daily tracking in 2008. The first data they've released, on partisan affiliation, contains some sobering news for Republicans:
That's right: just five states, collectively containing about 2 percent of the American population, have statistically significant pluralities of adults identifying themselves as Republicans. These are the "Mormon Belt" states of Utah, Idaho and Wyoming, plus Nebraska, plus Alaska. By contrast, 35 states are plurality Democratic, and 10 states are too close to call.

Now then for a couple of caveats.[more...]
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens
lesterBfearsome
Opponent

Re: Republicans have alot of work to do....

Postby Americalex » Jan 28, 2009 4:57 pm

The neo-conservatives really succeeded in destroying the republican brand!! wow!
Americalex
Supporter

Postby Clubtender » Jan 28, 2009 6:44 pm

Americalex wrote:The neo-conservatives really succeeded in destroying the republican brand!! wow!

Republicans acting like Democrats are what have damaged the Republican brand.
Clubtender
Supporter

Postby joahob » Jan 28, 2009 11:59 pm

Clubtender wrote:
Americalex wrote:The neo-conservatives really succeeded in destroying the republican brand!! wow!

That's exactly what neo-conservatives are: Democrats acting like Republicans!
The enclosure in which the citizens were mustered prior to casting their vote was known as the ovile, which literally means "sheep-pen".
joahob
Opponent

Postby leafandstar » Jan 29, 2009 4:53 pm

This doesn't come across as very accurate to me. Our nation is still 50/50. As a matter of fact, I actually read in a magazine (it was either People or Time) that McCain was supported by 47% of Americans and Obama 43%. Obviously, not everyone voted. The problem with America's media is that it is very liberal, and only gives one side. The Great Plains states, the South, the Southwest, and some of the Ohio River valley states are VERY republican. I'll personally rule out Indiana, which almost NEVER votes democrat. Virginia and Texas are also fairly solid republican states (in fact they are essentially what balances out New York and California). Most of the South is now republican (see the competitive ones) as well as the Great Plains states (minus Iowa).

I'm not trying to start a fight over parties, but I don't think this map is particularly accurate. (The Republican party would have been wiped out a long time ago.)
leafandstar

Postby Clubtender » Jan 29, 2009 5:28 pm

leafandstar wrote:This doesn't come across as very accurate to me. Our nation is still 50/50. As a matter of fact, I actually read in a magazine (it was either People or Time) that McCain was supported by 47% of Americans and Obama 43%. Obviously, not everyone voted. The problem with America's media is that it is very liberal, and only gives one side. The Great Plains states, the South, the Southwest, and some of the Ohio River valley states are VERY republican. I'll personally rule out Indiana, which almost NEVER votes democrat. Virginia and Texas are also fairly solid republican states (in fact they are essentially what balances out New York and California). Most of the South is now republican (see the competitive ones) as well as the Great Plains states (minus Iowa).

I'm not trying to start a fight over parties, but I don't think this map is particularly accurate. (The Republican party would have been wiped out a long time ago.)

Here's the 2008 election county map. The Democrats targeted and won all of the major cities. The rest of the nation is stuck suffering for it for the next 4 years.

Clubtender
Supporter

Postby lesterBfearsome » Jan 29, 2009 7:33 pm

the map I posted is a post election map, and it is not an electoral prediction map. perhaps i should have pasted the entire article. it does explain some problems with it. but it is pretty clear that as of right now in the USA democrats are way out in front. It appears the republicans are rallying behind Limbaugh. I don't know how that is a different step for the GOP. And I think that will play right into the democrats hands if republicans take that route.

Republicans might as well vote against everything. They have nothing much to lose, they are unpopular and stand to lose seats anyway. And in the event of a big failure of some kind, a lot to gain, like club said, and say they were against democrats the whole time (and its not a bad gamble on that if the economy might be SO bad that nothing can fix it anyway). Did democrats gain from playing nice with george bush? Did we not see Hilary Clinton and John Kerry squirm enough as they were repeatedly asked why they voted for the war? The opposition is suppose to oppose.

Another point, While republicans are voting nay, they are still singing high praises of Obama. Obama is very popular, and seems republicans don't have the spine to speak out against him, as it might be enough to cost them their seat. They are sticking it safe to attacking unpopular democrats like pelosi and reed.
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens
lesterBfearsome
Opponent

Postby BeaverFever » Jan 29, 2009 7:39 pm

The opposition is suppose to oppose

No lester, you have it wrong. Republicans are supposed to oppose Democrat governments, but Democrats are traitors if they oppose Republican ones. Don't you see how that works? We have the same thing up here. When the conservatives toppled the liberal gov't it was democracy in action. When the opposition attempted to topple the conservative government it was "treason".
"We rarely hear, it has been said, of the combinations of masters....but whoever imagines, upon this account, that masters rarely combine, is as ignorant of the world as of the subject." - Adam Smith, Wealth of Nations
BeaverFever
Opponent

Postby leafandstar » Jan 29, 2009 7:43 pm

Oh, I interpreted the map differently. I thought it was based on traditional party association, not the current preference toward democrats. It's fairly accurate then, and you're definitely right about the current political situation. My mistake!
leafandstar

Postby lesterBfearsome » Jan 29, 2009 7:55 pm

BeaverFever wrote:
The opposition is suppose to oppose

No lester, you have it wrong. Republicans are supposed to oppose Democrat governments, but Democrats are traitors if they oppose Republican ones. Don't you see how that works? We have the same thing up here. When the conservatives toppled the liberal gov't it was democracy in action. When the opposition attempted to topple the conservative government it was "treason".

getting republicans on board of these big legislations is a safety net for democrats, its an added bonus for later on. so that come election time republicans have to explain why they voted for shitty legislation or why democrats were so great to have come up with it. big spending is never popular, its a pretty safe move for republicans since their votes aren't needed anyway.

john kerry may have been the president if he wasn't cornered into saying stupid stuff like "i was for the war before i was against it". so why would the republicans fall for their own maneuver? (eg: "the treason/antipatriot charge")

harper is the worst prime minister in my lifetime. as soon as he's out of the prime minister seat, the conservative party might stand a chance at a majority government. or maybe he could be the next joe clark. how many times did they run him?
lesterBfearsome
Opponent

Postby Clubtender » Jan 29, 2009 8:48 pm

When the 2008 state results map is overlayed with the 2008 county results map, it does give an interesting picture of America.

Clubtender
Supporter

Postby lesterBfearsome » Jan 29, 2009 8:55 pm

that reminds me of another election overlay i found 'while back
It is a close up on the south of the county results from the nov 08 election. the dots, are from an 1860 cotton production map.
From Pickin' Cotton to Pickin' Presidents
lesterBfearsome
Opponent

Postby Monorprise » Jan 30, 2009 2:40 pm

lesterBfearsome wrote:Gallup is in the midst of releasing a series of data from the more than 350,000 interviews that it conducted over the course of its daily tracking in 2008. The first data they've released, on partisan affiliation, contains some sobering news for Republicans:
That's right: just five states, collectively containing about 2 percent of the American population, have statistically significant pluralities of adults identifying themselves as Republicans. These are the "Mormon Belt" states of Utah, Idaho and Wyoming, plus Nebraska, plus Alaska. By contrast, 35 states are plurality Democratic, and 10 states are too close to call.

Now then for a couple of caveats.[more...]

Democrats have always had a registration advantage. but aside from that your also seeing a great deal more growth in republican states than Democrat states.
and when the media becomes a blind propaganda machine like most all of it has for Obama, the concept of free, fair and open Democratic Elections is somewhat academic in the first place and that's putting it nicely.

Truth be said democracy is over so long as there is not freedom and fairness in the press.
Buckle your seat belts boys, its going to be a rough ride.
Those of us who are not willing to do whatever it takes to defend freedom from any Tyranny will be and indeed Should be themselves dammed to lose it!
Monorprise
Opponent

Postby Monorprise » Jan 30, 2009 4:16 pm

joahob wrote:
Clubtender wrote:

That's exactly what neo-conservatives are: Democrats acting like Republicans!

Then I must assert the logical and mathematical believe that that is all that may long control congress after the new deal when congress acquired such great power to control and influence the life of Americans. they also gained the power to help insure their reelection.
Sense that time we lost our traditional replacement rate of 50% down to less than 10% because 40%+ of congress is and has been reelected primary because of the money they bring home and thus the votes they effectively buy.

No "Republicans" as you define them can ever long hold congress assuming they could ever control it in the first place, given it takes time institutionally to secure any kind of control over that congress.

Our system has been broken in such a critical and fundamental way that discriminates against that possibility.

What options do we have? :| :?:
Those of us who are not willing to do whatever it takes to defend freedom from any Tyranny will be and indeed Should be themselves dammed to lose it!
Monorprise
Opponent

Postby Americalex » Jan 30, 2009 4:46 pm

Monorprise wrote:What options do we have? :| :?:

A negotiated UNA, hopefully with a congress that allows the American people to also vote in a referendum over achieved proposals.
Americalex
Supporter

Postby Clubtender » Jan 30, 2009 5:20 pm

As of a few minutes ago, Michael Steele was just elected as GOP Chairman. The GOP civil war is over and the Conservatives are now back in charge of the RNC. All that's left is for the GOP to do is to take the RINO trash out to the dumpster.
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/01 ... rty-chief/
Clubtender
Supporter

Postby lesterBfearsome » May 17, 2009 5:31 pm

well seems that civil war is still raging... and steele wants torture investigations, but can't say if torture is ok or not.

http://crooksandliars.com/nicole-belle/ ... hinks-we-s
lesterBfearsome
Opponent

Postby Clubtender » May 17, 2009 8:05 pm

Crooks and Liars is not a reliable source for anything. It's George Soros funded bunk. The topic is waterboarding, not torture and the reason that the Republicans want hearings is that the Democrats signed off on it as well as the Republicans at the time.
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/05 ... rrogation/

It was after the fact that the Democrats started calling it torture, blaming it on the Republicans and making a campaign issue about it. The Republicans let it slide while the events were still classified and Democrats were only trying to use it for political gain. Obama has however has since declassified the enhanced interrogation techniques, but has refused to declassify their results.

When the Democrats started to go after President Bush's advisors for potential criminal charges, the Republicans had finally had enough of this crap and have now pretty much said, "Bring on the investigations, but investigate everyone involved, not just the Republicans". Since the Congressional Democrats are also up to their armpits in this batch of shit stew, it's pretty obvious that these investigations will go away or drag down the Democrats as well. This however will not go away in time to save Speaker of the House, Nancy Pelosi's Carreer.
Clubtender
Supporter

Postby lesterBfearsome » May 17, 2009 8:41 pm

before the pelosi thing republicans were against any investigations. but now indeed present republicans are willing to throw the old republicans under the bus if it hurts present democrats. its all a political game, the topic just so happens to be torture. but the republicans are much more visibly wanting an investigation for political gain, not because they feel the law was broken.
lesterBfearsome
Opponent

Postby Clubtender » May 17, 2009 9:01 pm

lesterBfearsome wrote:before the pelosi thing republicans were against any investigations. but now indeed present republicans are willing to throw the old republicans under the bus if it hurts present democrats. its all a political game, the topic just so happens to be torture. but the republicans are much more visibly wanting an investigation for political gain, not because they feel the law was broken.

The topic is enhanced interrogation techniques, not torture. The Republicans did not want to open this can of worms over national security concerns, but since Obama declassified the enhanced interrogation techniques, there is nothing to lose. The enemy now already knows what to be prepared for.

The Republicans do not believe that the law was broken with the enhanced interrogation techniques. They just want to expose the Democrat party's hypocrisy on the topic.
Clubtender
Supporter

Next

Return to Archive