Scouts Train to Fight Terrorists, and More

Re: Scouts Train to Fight Terrorists, and More

Postby lesterBfearsome » May 20, 2009 12:46 pm

Our scouting is a bit more rigorous.

Now wait a minute, how about instead of getting your scouts ready for war you send them up here for some mid January camping.
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens
lesterBfearsome
Opponent

Postby NJguy » May 20, 2009 6:01 pm

lesterBfearsome wrote:
BeaverFever wrote:Although you're missing a big chunk of US history between 1812 and WWI, I dont really want to rehash all the old US imperialism argument, my point is just that the "nazi like activities " CTM leveled against Canada is pretty ridiculous considering this country is pretty much the opposite of a military agressor state.

haha just skip over the civil war and KKK.

civil war wasn't international, so you make no sense as usual.
It is a haunted Place. The cedars that line the river banks stain the waters with their deep color. Stunted pitch pines stand motionless, their shallow roots anchored precariously in gleaming white sands. Silence reigns. -NJ Pine Barrens
NJguy
Supporter

Postby NJguy » May 20, 2009 6:06 pm

lesterBfearsome wrote:

Now wait a minute, how about instead of getting your scouts ready for war you send them up here for some mid January camping.

We have done cold weather camping. Your weather isn't as different from the northern states as you think it is. I have woken up to block hard frozen solid tents before.
It is a haunted Place. The cedars that line the river banks stain the waters with their deep color. Stunted pitch pines stand motionless, their shallow roots anchored precariously in gleaming white sands. Silence reigns. -NJ Pine Barrens
NJguy
Supporter

Postby NJguy » May 20, 2009 6:11 pm

BeaverFever wrote:I was a Beaver Scout and a Cub Scout, and it was about camping, fishing, first aid, arts and crafts, etc. It was fun for a while but I dropped out when I discovered girls. Suddenly spending my weekend in a tent with a bunch of boys didn't seem so interesting.

I would be really really really surprised if anyone got advanced standing in the US or any other nation's military based on scouting activity. Regardless of how the youth in scouts are indoctrinated and "prepared" for military careers, scouting just isn't comparable to actual military service, not in culture or in the types of activities they undertake. You can't take children on gruelling field marches where hypothermia and heatstroke cause grown adults to drop like flies. You don't get the real combat arms training that would give you advanced standing. And the informal culture that exists among the younger troops in the military focuses on blowing shit up, drinking, fighting and/or fucking. I can't think of a single down-time activity we engaged in when I was in the reserves that didn't revolve around getting hammered and/or chasing skirts. It is 180 degrees from the leave-it-to-beaver, "golly gee whillackers, lets go to church and then do good deeds" culture of the boy scouts. Heck, you'd probably get beaten up by your fellow soldiers if you went in there showing off all your scout badges.

Your such a flaming liberal it's painful to observe. nobody brags about boy scouts, but it will give you advanced standing in the military. Maybe not in Canada, but in the US it will. Eagle Scout will you have to get there first. No shit its not like military service, its not the military. But those who were once scouts as kids, would find the transition to be much easier.
NJguy
Supporter

Postby lesterBfearsome » May 20, 2009 9:56 pm

NJguy wrote:
lesterBfearsome wrote:

We have done cold weather camping. Your weather isn't as different from the northern states as you think it is. I have woken up to block hard frozen solid tents before.

of course but its the southern states along the mexican border that are training kids to fight.
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens
lesterBfearsome
Opponent

Postby CTMountaineer » May 23, 2009 10:27 pm

Lester, ... the states along the Mexican border are
not if the South. They are in the Southwest. That's
a whole different geographic area. And, our scouts
often learn marksmanship and other skills that are
later useful for military or police work. They do so
under close supervision, and learn responsibility in
the process.

Our scouts are considered great molders of character,
and anyone who achieves the highest ranks there will
often get a boost in life, especially in government
service. Values and integrity are stressed throughout.
They also learn the importance of teamwork and
loyalty. The organization is highly respected in every
part of the country. Churches of most denominations,
schools, military posts, police departments, fire depart-
ments, veterans organizations sponsor and support
scout troops here.

They are highly organized on the national level, and
have a wide range of activities including public
service endeavors.
CTMountaineer
Opponent

Postby herbie » May 26, 2009 12:27 am

OMG a lot of you either weren't Scouts or weren't paying attention!
Baden Powell started the whole thing after the "Scouts" he used in the Boer War. The 'camping' grew from the outdoors skills of tracking, hiking, signalling, survival etc.
YEah, I did all that and was even a leader for a while. Guess where all the girls ended up? In our tents cuz we were ex-Scouts and every other guy who thought he was so cool was wet, soggy, out of food, fire and water on the second day. Toss in their sites stank cuz they couldn't build a latrine and were such dumbasses they hiked in cases of glass bottled beer!
I can tell you the girls loved our wine-skins courtesy of the Italian & Portugese Dads... heh heh!

Most of us either moved over to or were involved in both Scouts & Army/Navy/Air Cadets by the time we were 16.
Using them to scout and observe the border or something would be a natural move. Arming them steps over the line.
herbie
Opponent

Postby CTMountaineer » May 26, 2009 8:36 am

Scouts are certainly not "armed". They are often trained in
the responsible use of firearms. That is very different. They
are juveniles (under 18), and can not be armed, although as
individuals they can use firearms for hunting and the like,
usually at age 16.

We have other youth oriented groups that accomplish much
of the same thing. The Civil Air Patrol Cadet program is one,
the Junior ROTC groups run by the military services
in our high schools are others. Often young people participate
in more than one of them, and invariably they become
responsible, nice young people who are civic minded and
supportive of authorities. I wish all of our kids participated in
such programs instead of just many of them.
CTMountaineer
Opponent

Previous

Return to Archive