Creating a Canadian pro-annexation political party

Creating a Canadian pro-annexation political party

Postby daweiman » Oct 10, 2017 11:07 am

Hello everyone,

This is my first post, on annexation.ca, as far as I can remember.

I would like to discuss here, the practical aspects of creating a political party that would compete at the federal level, at least in the beginning, and that would have as its central plank, negotiating with the United States Senate the admission of Canada's provinces into the Union as states.

I admit that the Supreme Court of Canada has provided criteria for a province to leave the Dominion, and therefore, success at the provincial level would be necessary, so I need eventually to provide a rationale for starting at the federal level.

If there are people on this website who favor "annexation" becoming part of the platform of an existing political party (the Conservatives, I would guess), they should discuss that strategy on another thread.

1. What would be the structure of the Party?
2.1 Who would be granted membership?
2.2 What is a reasonable membership fee?
3. Who would have decision making authority?
4. Ideologies: What belief systems among the membership are tolerated, which ideas are not tolerated?
5. Who is responsible for selecting candidates?
6. It will no doubt take a generation or more to build a Party and win an election - What policies, goals, should the Party have as it struggles in opposition to the existing government (for example: lower cell phone rates; the right of Canadian citizens to work in the U.S. without requiring a green card)?

I will post my answers to these questions by Friday, October 13, 2017 should anyone express an interest on this topic.
daweiman
daweiman
Opponent

Re: Creating a Canadian pro-annexation political party

Postby Bayowolf » Oct 10, 2017 7:28 pm

Welcome to the Boards.

I, for one, would be interested in you posting you answers to the questions that you posed.

BTW, it is the whole Congress that admits new States (not just the Senate) by passing a "joint resolution". A joint resolution is passed in the same way as a bill except it does not require the President's signature. As far as I know, the admission of new States would be the only time (except for--maybe--declarations of war) that a Joint Resolution has the force of law without the President's signature.
Those who fail to learn from the brutal stompings visited on them in the past are doomed to be brutally stomped in the future. ~~Raoul Duke, Christmas Eve, 1972

I may be on the side of the angels, but don’t think for one second that I’m one of them. ~~Bayowolf, November, 2016
Bayowolf
Supporter

Postby Americalex » Oct 12, 2017 9:10 pm

Hi daweiman, and welcome to the forums!

I look forward to hearing your own answers to these interrogations, but here's my take on it. I want to reiterate that I much prefer a federal approach to petitioning for annexation, as the federal government of Canada wields the necessary qualitative sovereignty required to engage in negotiations with the United States as mutually sovereign entities.

1. Party Leader, President, Lieutenant, Board of Directors, General Director, Party Personnel, Provincial/Territorial Associations

2.1. Those who can readily be identified as members of the silent majority (i.e. proponents of human dignity and decency). People who are not into activism or protesting etc.

2.2. The fee could be flexible and left to individual provincial associations.

3. The board of directors (who would double as provincial/territorial association lieutenants).

4. Non racist, non violent, non extremist, non supremacist, non douchebaggoted, etc.

5. The board of directors.

6. It should aim to work collaboratively with all governments in the spirit of the Swiss confederal system. The platform would evidently be centrist and opportunist, with a view on long term growth and prosperity for Canadians anchored in a bilateralist approach. It should attempt to work jointly with governments to establish and increase links with American state institutions and governments, with a view on defining a set of acceptable amendments that would enable both nations to merge in a mutually rewarding way.

But personally, with the exit of Great Britain from the European Union, I tend to view the notion of forming a third western bloc of nordic and oceanic countries to be a more viable and even enviable option, with the USA and EU acting as buffer states until perhaps some chunks of them choose to join. Canada, the UK, Ireland, Denmark (and Greenland), Scotland, Quebec, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Australia, New Zealand, for starters.

Alexander
Americalex
Supporter

Postby Nuke » Oct 19, 2017 11:57 pm

Bayowolf wrote:BTW, it is the whole Congress that admits new States (not just the Senate) by passing a "joint resolution". A joint resolution is passed in the same way as a bill except it does not require the President's signature. As far as I know, the admission of new States would be the only time (except for--maybe--declarations of war) that a Joint Resolution has the force of law without the President's signature.

There's a few other cases, like ordering the President to stop a war (or clarifying an existing AUMF), or amending the Constitution.

daweiman wrote:1. What would be the structure of the Party?
2.1 Who would be granted membership?
2.2 What is a reasonable membership fee?
3. Who would have decision making authority?
4. Ideologies: What belief systems among the membership are tolerated, which ideas are not tolerated?
5. Who is responsible for selecting candidates?
6. It will no doubt take a generation or more to build a Party and win an election - What policies, goals, should the Party have as it struggles in opposition to the existing government (for example: lower cell phone rates; the right of Canadian citizens to work in the U.S. without requiring a green card)?

I will post my answers to these questions by Friday, October 13, 2017 should anyone express an interest on this topic.
daweiman

1. I'd probably have a model based on US political parties, in order to help familiarize Canadians with how American political parties work. A National Committee would be in charge of the national party, and the state parties would have their own parties -- but would not be allowed to leave the Canadian party unless their provinces seceded from Canada.
2.1. Qualified Canadian voters in Canada (federal political party) or the province or area in question for provincial and other local equivalents.
2.2. I am not sure, $30? We don't have membership fees in the US AFAIK.
3. Depends on the decision being made.
4. Support for free speech, opposition to SJW policies, reducing federal power (transferring responsibilities for many things, like Canadian Medicare, to the provinces, thereby enabling annexation without abolishing equivalent federal programs in Canada), reducing government spending, opposition to deficit spending, support for firearms rights and extradition of criminals potentially facing the death penalty to the United States, opposition to European-style laicite in Quebec in favor of a free exercise and non-establishment model of secularism, opposition to blingualism (because bilingualism would be a dealbreaker since we'd need to go trilingual with the Spanish-speakers next), etc.
5. Voters who would elect their candidates in party primaries, the exact methodologies of which would be controlled by the provincial parties, and with each province and territory allocated delegates in accordance with their population.
6. Generally anything that makes America and Canada closer. I think there's a lot of ways to criticize the Trudeau government.

Also, please post your answers, Daweiman. It's the 19th.
Nuke
Supporter

Postby Americalex » Oct 20, 2017 7:42 pm

Also, please post your answers, Daweiman. It's the 19th.

/concur
Americalex
Supporter

Postby Bayowolf » Oct 21, 2017 1:39 pm

^^^^^^^^
I hope we didn't scare him off!
Those who fail to learn from the brutal stompings visited on them in the past are doomed to be brutally stomped in the future. ~~Raoul Duke, Christmas Eve, 1972

I may be on the side of the angels, but don’t think for one second that I’m one of them. ~~Bayowolf, November, 2016
Bayowolf
Supporter

Return to Community