Reforming the rank system

Postby Americalex » Nov 03, 2013 8:14 pm

Here's an idea I have for reforming the rank system:

* Annexation Contributor
* Annexation Advocate
* Annexation Supporter
* Annexation Observer
* Annexation Opponent

A contributor actually participates in creating new content, an advocate actively participates in spreading it, a supporter is favorable to the idea of annexation, an observer is interested by the discussion, and an opponent is someone who obviously wishes to voice counter arguments against the whole idea.
Americalex
Supporter

Re: Reforming the rank system

Postby Bayowolf » Nov 03, 2013 9:18 pm

Would the Contributor, Advocate, & Supporter ranks have sub-categories for which scenario is envisioned (like there is for "Ideal", "Equitable", etc.)?
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."
~~Sir Winston O'Boogie

"Free your mind and your ass will follow"
~~George Clinton
Bayowolf
Supporter

Postby Americalex » Nov 03, 2013 9:54 pm

Bayowolf wrote:Would the Contributor, Advocate, & Supporter ranks have sub-categories for which scenario is envisioned (like there is for "Ideal", "Equitable", etc.)?

I was thinking of basically ditching that, saving space in the process to make the posts more compression friendly... possibly moving unto a responsive BB solution that can display on smartphones properly too!

Instead the flag and scenario could be a side by side single piece avatar, maintaining the diversity and visibility of the scenarios.. or something else entirely. A friend of mine said I should make an info segment about the scenarios, that would be pretty cool indeed!
Americalex
Supporter

Postby Americalex » Nov 07, 2013 2:46 am

Qualitative Involvement

Supporter - Supports the idea - Blue
Observer - Helps explore the various aspects of the annexation debate - Light Grey
Opponent - Argues against the annexation proposition - Red

Quantitative Involvment

Above 90 - 1 star
Over 450 - 2 stars
Over 900 - 3 stars
Over 4500 - 4 stars
Over 9000 - 5 stars

The button flag may end up being rounded square or round flag, depending on which icon set I find that offers the best quality. The goal is to prepare the terrain for a full migration to a responsive HTML5 build that will be accompanied by a general revamp of the website, to go with the videos.

And this cleared up some space for bigger images and videos, also I'm updating the video embeds to be 16:9 by default which looks a lot nicer and better use of the real estate too!

Maybe I can compress the forums further:

* Annexation (Debates, Community, Archives)
* General (People, Events, Ideas)

Scenarios would merge with Debates, and Things would merge with ideas, Help & Guidelines would merge with communities. Just a rumination. And about ranks, since we're in a period of compressions, maybe even merge Contributor & Supporter, simply eradicate that distinction. It would end up with Red, White & Blue. Typical colors which well with the theme of this idea.

-------

So here it is, the new forum ranking system:

Above 90 posts - 1 star
Over 450 posts - 2 stars
Over 900 posts - 3 stars
Over 4500 posts - 4 stars
Over 9000 posts - 5 stars

Americalex
Supporter

Postby dans » Nov 09, 2013 11:38 am

That metro phpbb theme is fine with me, just as long as video heavy threads no longer crash (actually, it's probably an out of memory issue, not a crash, but it looks the same from my end) my mobile browser.
Say YES! to Puerto Rico! Tell your Representatives, tell your Senators: "Just 51% for the 51st State!"
dans
Supporter

Postby Americalex » Nov 09, 2013 1:23 pm

Out of curiosity, what smartphone model are you using? I'm getting a Nexus 5 soon, I'm hoping it will be very effective for such usage. Right now I'm stuck with an old crapberry.

Americalex
Supporter

Postby Bayowolf » Nov 09, 2013 1:37 pm

I got a i4s. Awesome phone but the screen is too small to do anything long-winded on this site (or any other forum). I prefer my PC for doing anything on this site. This site reads well on my phone though.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."
~~Sir Winston O'Boogie

"Free your mind and your ass will follow"
~~George Clinton
Bayowolf
Supporter

Postby Bearsy » Nov 11, 2013 8:57 pm

What other changes are there? I wanted to message Alex about where his Rob Ford thread went to. But I can't find the PM button.
Radical Centrist
Bearsy
Opponent

Postby Americalex » Nov 11, 2013 9:06 pm

Bearsy wrote:What other changes are there? I wanted to message Alex about where his Rob Ford thread went to. But I can't find the PM button.

Don't worry it's not only you. I disabled the PM system entirely until further notice (and possibly permanently). I was tired of seeing Herbie sign on without posting, hopefully these types will just go away with the back chatter dried up.

Yes a lot of other changes are coming. I'm disgusted with the 1982 coding mentality of phpbb, so the whole thing be flushed. I deleted the Rob Ford thread because there was another one on which we talked about his situation and nobody was responding to the one I had started. Did you hear the remix song?

If you only had one account you might have 4 or 5 stars by now!
Americalex
Supporter

Postby Bearsy » Nov 11, 2013 9:18 pm

Americalex wrote:Don't worry it's not only you. I disabled the PM system entirely until further notice (and possibly permanently). I was tired of seeing Herbie sign on without posting, hopefully these types will just go away with the back chatter dried up.

Yes a lot of other changes are coming. I'm disgusted with the 1982 coding mentality of phpbb, so the whole thing be flushed. I deleted the Rob Ford thread because there was another one on which we talked about his situation and nobody was responding to the one I had started. Did you hear the remix song?

Lol yeah I heard that. I saw the other thread but it was about the military or something. I just thought I had a salient point about the whole Rob Ford thing. Its just crazy how the media, and Rob Ford, are trying to make this all about addiction. I'm not worried he might be an addict. I'm worried he might be a criminal. I'm more worried about the company he is keeping than the drugs he is taking. Its not like he was caught in a hotel with drugs and hooker. That would imply he is a customer. Rather he is caught hanging out with the drug dealers, with actual gangsters. Isn't one of the guys from that famous photo now dead? Like these are hardened criminals why is Ford in a photo with them??
Radical Centrist
Bearsy
Opponent

Postby Americalex » Nov 11, 2013 9:24 pm

It's a bit like how that guy Boisvert won the PQ leadership, even though they knew he had been snorting cocain WHILE he was a minister. Now about his connections, clearly he's got some shady links to people in the illegal drugs business, however as a consumer it kind of makes sense that he'd be exposed to such crowds. Now about a relationship to criminal activities, perhaps, but so far nothing has come to light that would directly involve him, right?
Americalex
Supporter

Postby Bearsy » Nov 11, 2013 9:52 pm

I only have my suspicions and to me they are raised further by the distraction of "addiction". It seems to me there are bigger questions that aren't being asked in the public forum. Its about addiction addiction addiction. Because being an addict may be controversial but its not illegal. Seems like a smokescreen to me.

It is completely possible that Ford has such a drinking problem that he can end up arm in arm with a couple of gangsters. He comes off as a drunken buffoon. Its convenient is all. Always excusing his behavior for a drinking problem. We are assuming all these videos and actions under the assumption of addiction. But shouldn't we be asking: what if he doesn't have a drinking problem? How does that change the context?
Radical Centrist
Bearsy
Opponent

Postby Americalex » Nov 11, 2013 11:41 pm

I think I found a workable solution that will allow me to update the website totally, while retaining the forums pretty much as they are now, since it would be too much trouble to migrate them to another solution like bbpress. I'd love to do that, but I don't have the skills. Finally, a responsive website with no flash! I think I can complete it before the week is out too!

Essentially what I'm looking forward to now, is not only improving the design to increase accessibility on modern devices, but also taking an intelligent look at a comprehensive SEO strategy that will enable much increased traffic, something I had utterly neglected until now, but am in the process of becoming fully proficient and cognizant about.

The challenge is making these forums (the ones we're typing on now) responsive... imagine the header gone, and the footer with those visitor counts gone also. If you reduce the width of the window it still jams at around 300 pixels, which means on most phones it wouldn't show the forums properly unless the person switches to horizontal view. Hence my idea of purchasing that mildly ugly Metro Template for phpbb, since it has the sole virtue of at least being responsive. If i can cut off the ugly header they have for it, we should be in business.

Also it won't be just the cosmetics and functionality of the site that will change, the very fundamental mission and scope will be transformed, into a different yet clearer and better focused purpose: exploring the potential to rejuvenate western civilization by defining a framework for the sovereign consent based union of our nations. A somewhat broader and more constructive mandate resulting from everything that was learned in the Annexation 1.0 experience.

About Rob Ford

The question remains, is Toronto better off since he has been running it or worst off? It terms of finances and outlook? Because as I recall the previous crowd was corrupt as fuck and were quickly imploding Toronto from within, career politicians in league for their nonstop reckless spending etc.
Americalex
Supporter

Postby Bearsy » Nov 14, 2013 4:19 pm

Todays papers are making charges Rob Ford also uses prostitutes.

Perhaps Rob Ford is simply an extreme hedonist. Still I can't shake the possibility its a distraction from worse crimes.

Surely the city can find someone who can respect the position of mayor and still have the same policies.
Radical Centrist
Bearsy
Opponent

Return to Community