Next Generation Military System of the Day

Re: Next Generation Military System of the Day

Postby Windwalker » Mar 12, 2017 12:19 am

The 1st video seems like an expansion on the reactive-armor concept. I don't see how it is supperior to the current reactive-armor systems. It does not eliminate the primary negative, that is friendly troops can be killed by their own armor if they dismount the vehicle.

The 2nd video, last I checked the new all-electric cruisers are still in the field-testing phase until 2018, but have been meeting or exceeding expectations thus far.... I may have to research this again it has been a while. The bigger issue here is about 70% of the current fleet could not be retrofitted with rail-guns without diminishing (replacing) some of their current systems.
Windwalker
Supporter

Postby Fat Tony » Mar 12, 2017 11:42 pm

A pic has appeared on social media showing a supposed Yemeni citizen with what appears to be a Lewis LMG. There is no way to know for sure where it came from or what calibre of many it could be. My guess is that it came out of a post WW2 shipment of military aid to that country, judging from the apparent good shape it is in(refurbished before being shipped down there?) Another possibility is that it is the result of a legitimate business deal of the notorious Sana'a black market. Finally, there is an outside chance that it is a dewat or fake. Why would someone go through the trouble of making a fake Lewis LMG in a war zone? It seems more likely it is live.

My point is the next generation military system of the day is shipments of WW1 & WW2 arms which are serviceable. Also the stuff has been sitting around for so long & passed around so many times they effectively do not exist. I suppose due to the instability in the region arms are moving around .
eh
Fat Tony
Supporter

Postby Americalex » Mar 18, 2017 3:00 pm

Let's face it, islamo-humanity is hellbent on genociding judeo-christendom.
Americalex
Supporter

Postby Fat Tony » Jun 17, 2017 12:10 am

CL84

Footage courtesy of the San Diego Air and Space Museum. :roll:
eh
Fat Tony
Supporter

Postby Americalex » Jun 30, 2017 8:28 pm

Americalex
Supporter

Postby Windwalker » Jul 25, 2017 1:55 am

Americalex wrote:

Hey, thats a pretty cool 1975-style version of motorcyclist armor with modern military patterns painted over it. (The motorcycle helmet and the 1977 "star-wars" boba-fett plates give it away , though.)
Windwalker
Supporter

Postby Windwalker » Jul 25, 2017 2:04 am

Supposedly, the US military didn't have enough funding to research the A-bomb and particle-beam weapons during WW2. There was allegedly some debate before they decided on the A-bomb.

Microwave communications (including cell phones), beamed-power supplies, medical imaging devises, and many other technologies have spurred off from the early "death-ray" plans from the early 1900's. I wonder if our technology would have gone in a much different direction if the US had developed weaponized particle-beams instead of the A-bomb during the war?

My thought is the logic of the time was, the A-bomb is easier to achieve, and whoever builds it first would have a major advantage. Building "death-rays" first would still leave the A-bomb out there for someone else to discover as the only reasonable countermeasure.

--------------

I wonder if that fancy racing-bike suit some government-sponsored corp wants to put on Russian soldiers would protect them from being pin-point fried from thousands of miles away like a chunk of food in a microwave oven? Doubt it....
Windwalker
Supporter

Postby Americalex » Jul 25, 2017 9:05 am

Windwalker wrote:Hey, thats a pretty cool 1975-style version of motorcyclist armor with modern military patterns painted over it. (The motorcycle helmet and the 1977 "star-wars" boba-fett plates give it away , though.)

hahahahahaha i was hoping for a comment like this to pop up lol
Americalex
Supporter

Postby Windwalker » Jul 26, 2017 2:02 am

Americalex wrote:
Windwalker wrote:Hey, thats a pretty cool 1975-style version of motorcyclist armor with modern military patterns painted over it. (The motorcycle helmet and the 1977 "star-wars" boba-fett plates give it away , though.)

hahahahahaha i was hoping for a comment like this to pop up lol

I guess Russian kids were deprived of playing with action-figures back in the early '80s, So now that they are in their forties and fifties they make up for being deprived by building life-size versions of Snake Eyes.

The only difference I see is the classic "Snake Eyes" has slightly more armor plates and a more practical looking neck-collar than the Ruskie life-size version of him.
Windwalker
Supporter

Postby Americalex » Aug 12, 2017 9:19 pm

This makes me think about the shift we are seeing happen in submarine technology.. from diesel to nuclear... and with nuclear engines also followed nuclear arms.. now the shift is towards fully electric propulsion, shouldn't it follow that rail guns could work also to replace torpedoes? Surely something that can go mach 7 in the air could achieve decent ranges and speeds through water also? With the reduced noise involved with a launch system that has no moving parts aside from the ammo itself..
Americalex
Supporter

Postby Bayowolf » Aug 14, 2017 3:18 pm

^^^^^^^^
...especially, if the ammo is shaped to be "self-cavitating" (where there would be little or no water resistance), I could see where this would really work well.
Those who fail to learn from the brutal stompings visited on them in the past are doomed to be brutally stomped in the future. ~~Raoul Duke, Christmas Eve, 1972

I may be on the side of the angels, but don’t think for one second that I’m one of them. ~~Bayowolf, November, 2016
Bayowolf
Supporter

Postby Americalex » Aug 14, 2017 3:35 pm

We know that assault rifle bullets slow down in a hurry in water, I guess I'll have to read up some research documents about rail gun technology and how faster then sound munitions react to the inherent viscosity of water lol
Americalex
Supporter

Postby Windwalker » Aug 15, 2017 1:51 am

There is a lot of exciting research going on right now with sound-waves. They have passed lab trials in which "anti-gravity" can be simulated by flying ping-pong balls around with carefully aimed frequency modulations.

Some of the possible practicle applications (other than flying saucers) would be things like snuffing the power of tsunamies (or purposely creating them), or as simple "beamed" weapons where frequencies are modulated to "shatter" the target.

The only way I could see a faster-than-sound projectile being useful underwater would be if it could project some sort of "sheilding" in which iit could "ride" a sound frequency.... but then if we were this advanced we wouldn't need submarines or cannons anymore... we could take a day trip to the far side of the moon for a picnic lunch, and blast every city of the face of the Eath for after-dinner entertainment before bedtime.
Windwalker
Supporter

Postby Americalex » Aug 15, 2017 10:21 am

Maybe simply as a no moving parts torpedo launch system? Reduced noise etc.
Americalex
Supporter

Postby Americalex » Aug 20, 2017 2:45 pm

Americalex
Supporter

Postby Windwalker » Aug 20, 2017 4:51 pm

^^^^^^^^^^
Looks like another excuse for defense-tech developers to milk the cow, in my opinion...
The Coalition's current fleet of cargo planes with the same lift capacity is capable of landing on short strips of dirt or gravel. The only real advantage of this system over the current system would be the ability to infuse a mess of cargo quickly from a sea-based platform.

It would still be (by several orders of magnitude) far more cost effective to use the current apparatus. This would be an extremely marginal improvement (tactically) for a massive cost, based on a technology-tree which has (thus far) proven to be unreliable and which also has one of the poorest safety records of all post WW2 military tech.
Windwalker
Supporter

Postby Americalex » Aug 20, 2017 5:00 pm

That's true, if the Osprey is any indication, it's not very a heartening start.

The Bell Boeing V-22 Osprey is an American military tiltrotor aircraft with an accident history that has generated some controversy over its perceived safety. The V-22 Osprey had 10 hull loss accidents that resulted in a total of 42 fatalities. During testing from 1991 to 2000 there were four crashes resulting in 30 fatalities.[1] Since becoming operational in 2007, the V-22 has had six crashes including two combat-zone crashes,[2][3] and several other accidents and incidents that resulted in twelve fatalities.[4]

But maybe this is caused by the twin configuration instead of quad? Hopefully the quad will be much more stable.
Americalex
Supporter

Postby Windwalker » Aug 21, 2017 1:27 am

The Marines like to send their men into combat zones with failing decades-old personal gear, and almost completely reliant on the Army for support, so that they can go 100 times over-budget on failed experiments like the ospray.

The ospray is a sub-par cargo helecopter and a sub-par cargo plane. It doesn't even come close to comparing with its non-hybrid counterparts and costs massive amounts more $$.

4 rotors may increase stability, but also quadrouples the chance of mechanical failure. Could this theoretical thing operate on just 2 or 3 rotors? I doubt it.

Its not really that hard to toss pallets out of the back of an airplane with parachutes attached, and/or secure a 100 meter or so long stretch of concrete or packed dirt for a C-130 to land on. (And costs a hellof a lot less).

---------------

If there is one thing the Navy excels at, though, it is flushing money down the toilet. They have to justify their massive percentage of the total military budget with hairbrained schemes like this, even though the Army already does that 10 times better with cheaper equipment.

This sort of thing makes sense in the brain of an over-paid Marine General or an Admiral accustomed to thinking in terms of 60,000 men and 90 day missions, with exorbitant ammounts of finance behind them.

The Army deals with constantly rotating up to 4 million men (including contractors and 3rd country nationals) in an endless training cycle with no breaks in deployment. The Navy should quit trying to pretend their speciality isn't eating a dick.
Windwalker
Supporter

Postby Americalex » Aug 21, 2017 9:31 am

lol kind of the same way that delta force actually knows what it's doing and the seals are more of a psy-op than a real elite unit (i'm sure many marines and seal members would have zero problem with breaking my jaw over such callous talk).

Word on the street is that the marine corps was taken over by stoicist humanists who are busy turning it into the equivalent of the ss, a sir yes sir fraternity of men forced to love each other more than platonically. sad if true!
Americalex
Supporter

Postby Windwalker » Aug 21, 2017 2:15 pm

Americalex wrote:lol kind of the same way that delta force actually knows what it's doing and the seals are more of a psy-op than a real elite unit (i'm sure many marines and seal members would have zero problem with breaking my jaw over such callous talk).

Word on the street is that the marine corps was taken over by stoicist humanists who are busy turning it into the equivalent of the ss, a sir yes sir fraternity of men forced to love each other more than platonically. sad if true!

Building an elite force is a balance between how much funding is available, the specific mission-sets the force is geared toward, and the size of pool for potential recruits... The Army has a major advantage as they have a "heiarchy" (if you will) of different specialized units and job descriptions (paratroopers, Rangers, snipers, linguists, intel-anylists, etc) from which to recruit operators from.... and the total pool is MUCH larger than the Navy's.

If you were to boil it down to an equation, the two primary factors are how much money you are willing to invest into the elite force, vs how many potential recruits there are. The resulting graph would be an s-curve....
(For example, if you only provide elite training to the top .001% performers of your total force, the extra cost would be almost non-existent, as these individuals would take to it more naturally. Where it would start leveling off at the center of the "s" would likely be around 3% of your total force (but then factors such as the size of the general population you are pooling your military members from, and the comparison of compensation (pay and benefits) to the civilian counterparts and the "line-units" starts to factor in). At some point the right side of the "s" curve starts to curve upward into an impossible cost trade-off, in which it would likely cost an infinite amount of funds to "force" say 30% of your total force to the same elite quality your top .001% take to naturally at little cost....

My impression of the Navy Seals and the Marines (in general) is that it is a giant experiment to determine the perameters in which elite forces can be formed, at what cost, and to what degree... My personal opinion of the current structure of the SEAL teams is they have somewhat lowered the bar for their psychological and intuitive standards with the trade-off being a larger pool of guys able to achieve the minimum physical fitness standards..... I guess it makes sense in that your leaders on the ground do most of the tactical thinking, anyway. I would put my money on Army special Operations vs the SEAL any day of the week when examining their tactics and fortitude, but most individual Seals could probably outperform most individual Grean Berret in a 1 on 1 push-up competition! (And yes, my caulous comments would probably earn me a broken-jaw as well in the wrong company (thus proving my point.))

-------------

The Marines can be summed up with the following coloquealism: Do as I say, not as I do.

There are many reasons why the Marines has an almost non-existent re-enlistment rate, but you are probably also correct in your assumption that it attracts more borderline-scuicidal individuals internally struggling with balancing their secret homosexual desires with their strong desire for fraternalism than any other branch.

On a side note, I have noticed President Trump has been replacing his Marine security details with Airmen as much as is practicle (at least in public appearances).
Windwalker
Supporter

Previous

Return to Interests