Strange Map of the Day

Re: Strange Map of the Day

Postby Windwalker » Jan 07, 2018 4:01 pm

Someone mapped out where they think the "underground military tunnels" are based on where kids have gone missing at National Parks... lols (at the tunnels idea not at real missing kids).
Windwalker
Supporter

Postby Americalex » Jan 07, 2018 4:13 pm

So the underground network is controlled by democrats? :D
Americalex
Supporter

Postby Windwalker » Jan 08, 2018 3:02 am

Americalex wrote:So the underground network is controlled by democrats? :D

LOL ya I saw that too. Ironically, the map's creator probably votes Democrat.
Windwalker
Supporter

Postby Windwalker » Jan 08, 2018 3:07 am

Windwalker
Supporter

Postby Bayowolf » Jan 08, 2018 12:06 pm

I'm not sure that the Brits had the stomach to go to war with the Union--especially with their people being largely against slavery. In our timeline, by 1863, the Union was the 2nd largest industrial power (#1 in gun manufacturing) on its way to totally dwarfing the UK by 1900. (In 1901, the United States Steel Corporation swallowed up a smaller competitor. This competitor--The Carnegie Steel Company--was producing more than the United Kingdom was at the time.

EDIT: This was in response to Windwalker's Turtledovish map on the previous page. As I submitted my post 10 minutes ago, I was surprised that there apparently was a whole 'nother conversation about military tunnels. BTW: The tunnels as shown on the first map come to nowhere near San Diego (a naval base about which you've surely heard) and Luke AFB (Glendale, AZ) which is the largest fighter-pilot-training facility in the Free World)
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."
~~Sir Winston O'Boogie

"Free your mind and your ass will follow"
~~George Clinton
Bayowolf
Supporter

Postby Windwalker » Jan 08, 2018 1:42 pm

I'm not sure that the Brits had the stomach to go to war with the Union--especially with their people being largely against slavery. In our timeline, by 1863, the Union was the 2nd largest industrial power (#1 in gun manufacturing) on its way to totally dwarfing the UK by 1900. (In 1901, the United States Steel Corporation swallowed up a smaller competitor. This competitor--The Carnegie Steel Company--was producing more than the United Kingdom was at the time.

There was a very vocal (and strong) minority of hawkish types in Parliament at the time. The anti-slavery call was very powerful in England and other parts of the UK, but Brits were turned-off by Lincoln's overtures to the Slave States in the early months of the war to try and get them to stay in the Union early on.

The bottom line was, the Bank of England and the British Empire (in general) both stood in a position where greater military posture and a stronger economy would have resulted (for them) if the Confederacy had won its independence. Fire-bombing New York and Boston whilst invading Maine (in the North) while simultaneously selling equipment to the South that would open up commerce with Europe would have easily sealed the deal in short order, with minimal risk or loss to British military hardware.... The Tzar's motives were likely more self-interested than a show of solidarity with the US. Russia was on the verge of war with England and France, anyway, over Poland, and having the Russian Fleet stationed in San Fran and New York prevented the more powerful Allied fleets from bottling them up in the Russian ports with limited access... Just too many variables for the quick "shock and awe" style plan the English hawks had in mind, combined with the US winning two major land battles in the same period of the conflict...

WW1 really did almost happen at that point, though. The Confederacy was chomping at the bit to break the blockade, their raw materials rolling into European factories would have all but guaranteed the Confederacy's survival, regardless of how many guns and how much grain the US was producing at the time.
Windwalker
Supporter

Postby Windwalker » Jan 10, 2018 12:05 pm

Windwalker
Supporter

Postby Fat Tony » Jan 10, 2018 5:39 pm

the end of the Circassians

This ramped up around 1864. Tolstoy wrote a book about what he saw during the Imperial Russian campaign in that region. Well he served in that campaign. One for the reading list.

Ethnic cleansing the ever popular easy button.
eh
Fat Tony
Supporter

Postby Americalex » Feb 27, 2018 7:57 pm

Americalex
Supporter

Postby Americalex » Mar 05, 2018 1:42 pm

Americalex
Supporter

Postby Fat Tony » Mar 05, 2018 9:04 pm

Cleveland says: "that's just nasty."
eh
Fat Tony
Supporter

Postby Windwalker » Apr 12, 2018 1:30 pm

------------

If one only wanted to consider short-term gains in Syria against Russia and Assad's Alawite base, it would be a simple matter. Have Israel re-occupy their traditional security zone in S Lebanon, whilst the coalition moves in and occupies the predominantly Christian-populated region in central Lebanon surrounding (and cutting off) Beruit. This would rapidly draw off 30% of Assad's current (Hezbolla) forces from Syria, which are already currently looking for an excuse to abandon their positions protecting Assad's air-bases.

Hezbolla, fattened with a flood of Iranian bank so large it is significantly stressing the entire Iranian economy, has already super-ceded Al-Qaeda and ISIS as the premier global terror network, it would be a good way to nip it in the bud...

Of course, a bloody insurgency in coalition occupied portions of Lebanon would instantly ensue, with long term ramifications for the West... But then again, a conflict with the organization is rapidly become inevitable, anyway.

------------

The Russo-Syrian-Iranian axis in Syrian minus Hezbollah equals the Russo-Syrian axis. (Plus ignoring the "opportunity" to split Syria and Lebanon militarily at this juncture would be a betrayal of all the Western blood, sweat, and tears that went into seperating them from each other at the end of the Great War. To NOT do it would be a betrayal of any residual advantage left from the great strategic planners of the early 20th century, who intentionally designed this achilles heal.)

As bold as Trump and Maddis are, I am not sure if either has the balls (or political capital) to pull of something like that, at least not without full support from France and a few other key players.
Windwalker
Supporter

Postby Windwalker » Apr 13, 2018 4:26 am

Hollow Earth Theory as explained as a pictogram (or "in a nutshell" for those of us that enjoy bad puns)=====

They explored this on a recent episode of the Star-Trek spin-off done by the Seth McFarland. Not sure if they were poking fun at the real hollow-Earth theory believers, or trying to give them validation.
Windwalker
Supporter

Postby Windwalker » Apr 13, 2018 4:37 am

I spent all day reading about Lebanon and its history, after that idea I had a few posts back on this thread.

This is a fictitious map of a town in middle earth, but it sort of made me think of what Lebanon must have been like in the BCE. Olive groves, and the fragrant scent of orange orchards, perfuming the entire port like a majical city of the Gaods to someone who has never seen a city before as their boat pulls into the port.

Windwalker
Supporter

Postby Fat Tony » Apr 13, 2018 10:05 pm

I bet they had no scabby call centres with fat greasy creep scumball managers!

Windwalker wrote:I spent all day reading about Lebanon and its history, after that idea I had a few posts back on this thread.

This is a fictitious map of a town in middle earth, but it sort of made me think of what Lebanon must have been like in the BCE. Olive groves, and the fragrant scent of orange orchards, perfuming the entire port like a majical city of the Gaods to someone who has never seen a city before as their boat pulls into the port.

eh
Fat Tony
Supporter

Postby Windwalker » Apr 21, 2018 12:52 am

Windwalker
Supporter

Postby Windwalker » Apr 21, 2018 4:59 am

Wow, I didn't realize the Mexican Government was losing its grip even worse than the Syrian Government is. Looks like they are currently down to just Acapulco and Mexico City, with some corridors into other States.
Windwalker
Supporter

Postby Windwalker » Apr 21, 2018 10:03 pm

I realize that Mexico is a much larger country, but why is it that Americans tend to ignore that nearly 3 times as many people have been killed in the fighting there as in Iraq and Afghanistan put together, including civilian deaths...

And why do they call them "civilian deaths" in Iraq and Syrian, but "Killings" in Mexico? Something to ponder, I suppose...

----------

They say that is one of the hallmark traits of a dysfunctional body-Politic... when they project their own issues onto other Nations (externalizing). Lets go drop some rockets and bombs in Russia's backyard so we can be distracted from the disaster in our own backyard! Hurrah?!! Guess thats what you get with a fucking Jarhead for the Sec of Defense.

But in his defense, Maddis' reputation and career are almost entirely revolvent around the never-ending circular door of violence in the Middle East. I suppose you can't blame a hammer for only seeing the nails.
Windwalker
Supporter

Postby Windwalker » Apr 21, 2018 11:00 pm

Maybe we should go in and utterly obliterate the purple team, then tell the red team to support the three southernmost States on Texas border they have two choices...

1. Have your border with Texas strip mined for stone to make it into a mile-high fortified rampart with 30 mile wide sea-level canal at its base, or

2. These three States can Rejoin their Mother Country, Texas, and take their Rightful and Fought For, and Pre-Approved admission to the United States of America for their contribution to the battles that saved Texas from Mexican oppression, and have the rampart and Canal emplaced on THEIR Southern border instead.

-----

That that would be something cool, eh

---------

EDIT: Thats the gist of "The Wall" that Trump has been talking about. And the labor pool for the largest quarry the world has ever seen (and probably ever will, unless we sell the tech and equipment to the Saudis after the project is done) is anyone who is a Mexican Citizen and is eligible to work under Mexican Law, would automatically be approved to be hired on full-time working the quarry for US$ and US federal minimum wage and compensation package equivalent to that of American workers working in the US. Not only would all the unemployed flock to the project, but in the ball-park of 80 to 90% of Mexico's current labor force and Government Civilian employees would ALSO quit their current job and flock to the project, unless Mexico was willing to start paying US wages to all of its employees and workforce, they would work the quarry, all but the most stubborn only. It would need to include a vigorous education program, as well, and have on-site medical staff and training available, you know, the whole kit and caboodle....

I know, it sounds nutty, but... it would work. because the truth is, the Mexican People love to Work and build stuff, right?
Windwalker
Supporter

Postby Fat Tony » Apr 23, 2018 9:20 am

I am reminded of the story of Elmer Keith. From what I know he was raised into ranching & was self taught in ballistics, and had lots of experience with shooting sports & hunting. I read somewhere that he got work doing exhibition shooting for employees of the Tennessee Valley Association sometime before WWII. His contributions to ballistics is pretty impressive for someone who was almost completely self taught. Invented .357 Magnum. Invented the .41 Magnum. Invented the .44 Magnum. Contributed to the development of .338 Winchester Magnum. His ideas on the .338 were built upon which eventually resulted in the .338 Lapua Magnum, which is used for serious work all around the world, love it or hate it.

Map & Inset showing Lemhi Cty where Salmon Idaho is located, home town of Elmer Keith

eh
Fat Tony
Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to Interests