Strange Map of the Day

Strange Map of the Day

Postby dittbub » Oct 28, 2008 11:58 pm

hey i'm back! how did that happen?!

Anyways, in public schooling I always had a keen interest in geography but which i ignored in pursuit of other academics, ultimately a huge mistake. I tend to spend internet time wikiing other countries or history and love to dissect and study any included maps. I was on the brink of sexually arousal when I found this blog:
http://strangemaps.wordpress.com
I often thought of UNA site for some of the North American maps that came up. It may have been where alex found the Islamic map of the world, I do recall you said you forget where you found it! If you're a nerd for maps this blog is for you. I'd post a couple of the funny ones I really liked but they are too big too post.

Also, if you are reading this Club: na na na boo boo, Obama's gunna win!
I support the official use of the Maple Heart Spangled Banner, nothing else.
http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/2060 ... lagyk6.png
dittbub
Opponent

Re: strange map blog

Postby Americalex » Oct 29, 2008 9:31 am

Welcome back Barrett,

Nice to see you again! Well, the only strange map I stumbled upon recently was this one, and it sure was strange:

Americalex
Supporter

Postby Americalex » Sep 08, 2009 4:08 pm

Americalex
Supporter

Postby lesterBfearsome » Sep 08, 2009 4:46 pm

is it a mistake they got quebec on the west side? quebec used to have that western territory. with the english acquisitions along the st Lawrence gulf, one could have deduced that quebec would have been squeezed west instead of staying stuck in the middle.
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens
lesterBfearsome
Opponent

Postby Americalex » Oct 30, 2009 1:01 pm

Americalex
Supporter

Postby Fat Tony » Oct 30, 2009 4:35 pm

"New Britain" - down in the south pacific, lol, they are a little off there I think.
eh
Fat Tony
Supporter

Postby Americalex » Oct 30, 2009 6:28 pm

Fat Tony wrote:"New Britain" - down in the south pacific, lol, they are a little off there I think.

Yeah it's some futuristic game right, they must have some apocalyptic setting where people somehow drifted West. I think those who designed that game must be far away lol
Americalex
Supporter

Postby Americalex » Jan 16, 2010 3:19 am

Americalex
Supporter

Postby lesterBfearsome » Jan 16, 2010 1:06 pm

Honestly how they broke up Canada offends me >:(

Like the big pink splotch in the middle is the part Ontarians want? I don't agree with all the borders there but the rest at least they make some kind of sense towards regional culture or economic necessity. Except when it comes to the pink splotch in the middle, it makes Ontario look like an empire. why on earth connect the barren north with the urban bustle of southern Ontario? Why not give it to Quebec, then? The map looks like, "OK Ontarians are really going to hate being broken up form PQ, NB, NS, so lets appease them by giving the empty bulk of the continent to them, that will make them happy right". If Quebecs gotta be on its own and separate us from east coast Canadians, then I'd rather have Ontario on its own too. (though I'd invite Manitoba for the ride - similar to Texas bringing along Oklahoma). Give Alberta the rest and they can finally be happy being the king of ice, oil, and cow shit.

I know its just a pic but its made on that persons idea of cultural boundaries. New England also looks fucked to me. It would make much more sense for Quebec to take NB and NS as satellite regions (like Texas tends to do in all these kinds of exercises).

Another point: The creation of "Patrick" seems very unfair. I'd think there ought to be a "rule" when doing these maps that no region is left land locked or without direct access to the great lakes.
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens
lesterBfearsome
Opponent

Postby pieman97405 » Jan 17, 2010 5:42 pm

The Constitution and the laws are supreme and the Union indissoluble. -Andrew Jackson
The movement for a modern Mexican Reconquista is disgustingly and shamelessly promoted by bitter atheist fucks who have rejected all sacredness in the world. -Alex
pieman97405
Supporter

Postby Occident » Jan 22, 2010 4:11 pm

What is it with map predictions done by Americans that always hand Ulster to the Republic of Ireland? Its a totally rediculous assumption about how its supposed inevitability, that its somehow going to happen whenever global borders are next redrawn.
"There is not in the British empire a man who more cordially loves a union with Great Britain than I do. But by the God that made me, I will cease to exist before I yield to a connection on such terms as the British Parliament propose." - Thomas Jefferson
Occident
Supporter

Postby NJguy » Jan 22, 2010 5:09 pm

Also what is it with those maps that always make everything in the North Gigantic and smaller as you go south? Australia is too small, and everything above the USA, including Canada, Russia, Northern Europe, and Alaska suddenly get huge. I see these maps everywhere.

I didn't know Greenland was bigger than Africa.
It is a haunted Place. The cedars that line the river banks stain the waters with their deep color. Stunted pitch pines stand motionless, their shallow roots anchored precariously in gleaming white sands. Silence reigns. -NJ Pine Barrens
NJguy
Supporter

Postby lesterBfearsome » Jan 22, 2010 8:28 pm

rofl greenland distortion is a pet peeve of mine too.
lesterBfearsome
Opponent

Postby Johnny OD » Jan 23, 2010 1:17 am

Ugh! I hate distortion so much! That's why my number one request for Christmas this year was a globe =P Nothing beats a globe when you're trying to look at the TRUE layout of the world. ^.^ The map I have had on my wall for the past 8 years attempted to simulate a globe but instead of enlarging Canada / Greenland it shifted everything on the right and left edge really far to the center. Ellesmere Island for example is way farther West (if you take a cursory look) than Newfoundland. And Quebec is on top of Newfoundland instead of North West of Newfoundland.
Johnny OD
Supporter

Postby lesterBfearsome » Jan 31, 2010 11:40 am

Europe's alcohol belts
http://strangemaps.files.wordpress.com/ ... lbelt3.jpg
Vodka Belt, Beer Belt, and Wine Belt
lesterBfearsome
Opponent

Postby Americalex » Feb 20, 2010 8:27 pm

Americalex
Supporter

Postby lesterBfearsome » Apr 21, 2010 3:00 am

Todays strange map (a concept familiar to anyone who has been here awhile): "State of Jefferson"
Note the date. The very next day the Japanese attacked pearl harbor, interest in secession vanished.

Which led me to another great map blog called "Lost states"
http://loststates.blogspot.com/

hrm, its proving to be a tease

state of Jefferson? Franklin? Lincoln?!? Let Washington be the only president to have a state. Now, "Superior" thats a cool name for a new state. And you wouldn't say "State of Superior", you'd have to say "State Superior!"... that should be in their constitution somewhere.
lesterBfearsome
Opponent

Re: Strange Map of the Day

Postby pieman97405 » Apr 21, 2010 10:22 am

Jefferson's 21st century counterpart is much larger.
The Constitution and the laws are supreme and the Union indissoluble. -Andrew Jackson
The movement for a modern Mexican Reconquista is disgustingly and shamelessly promoted by bitter atheist fucks who have rejected all sacredness in the world. -Alex
pieman97405
Supporter

Postby lesterBfearsome » May 05, 2010 4:27 pm

they gave the author of "Lost states" 40 minutes on C-SPAN.
video: http://www.c-spanvideo.org/program/293328-7
lesterBfearsome
Opponent

Postby Clubtender » May 05, 2010 6:17 pm

dittbub wrote:hey i'm back! how did that happen?!

Anyways, in public schooling I always had a keen interest in geography but which i ignored in pursuit of other academics, ultimately a huge mistake. I tend to spend internet time wikiing other countries or history and love to dissect and study any included maps. I was on the brink of sexually arousal when I found this blog:
http://strangemaps.wordpress.com
I often thought of UNA site for some of the North American maps that came up. It may have been where alex found the Islamic map of the world, I do recall you said you forget where you found it! If you're a nerd for maps this blog is for you. I'd post a couple of the funny ones I really liked but they are too big too post.

Cool site.

dittbub wrote:Also, if you are reading this Club: na na na boo boo, Obama's gunna win!

After the damage that hes done to America, I really don't see how he could get re-elected. Then again, the Democrats have the graveyard vote, phantom absentee ballotiers and the illegal alien vote, so I guess that anything is possible.
Clubtender
Supporter

Next

Return to Interests