Americalex
Supporter

Re: Strange Map of the Day

Postby Americalex » Nov 16, 2016 12:34 pm

Americalex
Supporter

Postby Americalex » Feb 18, 2017 11:38 am

It's a cool map that kind of explains why most of the refugee influx comes into Quebec.
Americalex
Supporter

Postby Americalex » Mar 01, 2017 11:51 pm

"Area of islamic jihad against christians".
Americalex
Supporter

Postby Americalex » Mar 02, 2017 7:55 pm

Americalex
Supporter

Postby Fat Tony » Mar 21, 2017 1:01 am

Gasp! You mean you can lie with choropleth maps?

Windwalker wrote:
Bearsy wrote:Image

I have a hard time buying the accuracy of this map when Canada accounts for about 14% of US trade and China accounts for about 19% of US trade. Its not even worth the time to try and varify the actual numbers... Just based on the simple math OR WA LA and GA would have to be trading 17 times more material than the "Canada" States for this map to even start to be possible.

If you were to adjust for all the Chinese crap being rail-transported in to the "Canada" States from Seattle, Portland, and New Orleans, and assign it only to the port-of-entry State is the onky way you could create this BS map. Canada physically doesn't even actually make that much crap.
eh
Fat Tony
Supporter

Re: strange map blog

Postby Fat Tony » Mar 23, 2017 7:34 pm

lesterBfearsome wrote:I know its just a pic but its made on that persons idea of cultural boundaries. New England also looks fucked to me. It would make much more sense for Quebec to take NB and NS as satellite regions (like Texas tends to do in all these kinds of exercises).

You Quebecers & Texans can come and take it if you think you're man enough! I suppose that sounds chauvanistic.
eh
Fat Tony
Supporter

Postby Americalex » Apr 17, 2017 9:28 am

Americalex
Supporter

Re: Republique de Madawaska

Postby Fat Tony » Apr 17, 2017 7:46 pm

One of the 'non existent' border regions of Canada & the USA. :mrgreen:
eh
Fat Tony
Supporter

Postby Americalex » Apr 25, 2017 3:49 pm

Americalex
Supporter

Postby Fat Tony » May 21, 2017 8:05 pm

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?ad ... les_id=692

^A GPS study of the movements of 11 wolverines in the Chugach Mtns. near Anchorage. Not able to resize atm.
eh
Fat Tony
Supporter

Postby Windwalker » May 22, 2017 11:24 am

Fat Tony wrote:http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=wildlifenews.view_article&articles_id=692

^A GPS study of the movements of 11 wolverines in the Chugach Mtns. near Anchorage. Not able to resize atm.

Fascinating... I currently live right in the middle of North Bend, OR, which makes up about 40% of the Coos Bay area's urban population of around 25,000 people (the entire county is about 50,000). We have a lot of deer and occasional predator sightings right in town of animals such as cougars...

The home I am currently renting, while right in the middle of town, is right up against a wooded area that is actually a spur off of a major creek-bed which feeds one of the primary sloughs of the bay itself. I poke around in there now and again (mostly to assess the frequency and volume of human traffic along the game trails) but haven't seen any cougar tracks for quite a while (though we have had a pack of stray dogs causing trouble and sparring with the raccoons at night lately). I have recently re-shaped the trail nearest my back fence so-as to encourage a hedge of black-berry to overgrow the deer-trail, forcing them to move around it on the next ridge down-slope. It was starting to turn into a major conduit for every sort of animal and the deer had worked the soil down to bare clay and bedrock along it. (a male deer had come into the yard to clean up apples from my lawn, and had kicked my 12 year old female datchsund in the face giving me a $1200 vet bill :evil: )
Windwalker
Supporter

Postby Fat Tony » May 22, 2017 4:25 pm

San Carlos Sound.

Blackberry bushes- better than barbed wire. Too bad about your pooch. I hope she is well.
eh
Fat Tony
Supporter

Postby Windwalker » May 23, 2017 10:35 am

Blackberry bushes- better than barbed wire. Too bad about your pooch. I hope she is well.

She had a hoof-length incision on the right side of her face, the skin pealed off from the flesh, and a cracked bone that resulted in the canine tooth on that side having to be removed....

Poor thing had made "friends" with one of the female deer that frequently beds down under one of the trees just past the blackberry bramble (they had been nose-to-nose through the picket fence on more than one occasion). I think she saw the young buck and just assumed he was friendly and tried to walk right up to him..... Sadly, my other (6 year old male) dachshund learned to stop being aggressive toward the deer from watching her get kicked, but she herself still seems to have no fear of them. The Vet told me that small dogs getting kicked by deer is the most common injury to animals in this community, accounting for more than half of all injuries (of course it probably doesn't help that many people also let their dogs, big and small, wander around town here, and don't obey leash laws). My male dachshund, at least, has fulfilled his purpose in life (has killed 3 burrowing rodents, what they were originally bred for) though.

Anyway, when studying the disbursement of wolverines and other predatory animals, my thought is they follow the prey more-so than they space themselves out in a pattern. If the prey population is more compact, my thought is that will cause smaller "patrol" territories per each predator, though mating habits probably plays into it too. Felines usually have highly overlapped "patrol" areas, but they hit the same trails at different times of the day.

About a year and a half ago there were several reported Cougar sightings here in town, and my wife and I heard what sounded to me like a a juvenile large cat "roar" loudly. (I tried to ensure her their voice could really carry and it could have been a mile off at 5 in the morning, but I spent the next 3 months clearing the backyard with a flashlight before we could let the dogs out.) It is rumored that there is an old toothless female Cougar living in town that some old ladies leave food for.... Cougars seem to know the human hearing and night-vision thresh-hold and can easily stay "invisible" to us basically at will, but the idea of an old toothless female is scary to me.... Cougars are also quite clever and supposedly can mimic the sound of a crying baby of their prey (including human babies) to draw females and children closer when they are old and toothless and less able to chase down their meals.
Windwalker
Supporter

Postby Windwalker » May 23, 2017 11:15 am

Windwalker
Supporter

Postby Americalex » May 23, 2017 12:21 pm

They let the dogs loose with trackers?
Americalex
Supporter

Postby Windwalker » May 23, 2017 3:15 pm

lol, I think that map was felis catus (house-cats). I would love to see the trackers on the dogs around my town, though, people here just let them run around however they want, it seems.
Windwalker
Supporter

Postby Windwalker » May 23, 2017 10:05 pm

Windwalker
Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to Interests