Clockwise or Counter-Clockwise?

Do you see the figure rotating clockwise or counter-clockwise?

You may select 1 option

View results

Clockwise or Counter-Clockwise?

Postby Americalex » Mar 23, 2009 4:09 pm

Americalex
Supporter

Re: Clockwise or Counter-Clockwise?

Postby Clubtender » Mar 23, 2009 11:27 pm

It depends on the perspective. Looking down from the top of her head, she is spinning counter clockwise. Looking up from her feet, she is spinning clockwise. From her perspective, she is spinning counter clockwise.
Clubtender
Supporter

Postby Clubtender » Mar 23, 2009 11:32 pm

Oh Crap! If you look at the shadow that she is casting, she seems to change direction. Cool illusion.
Clubtender
Supporter

Postby herbie » Mar 24, 2009 2:41 am

That's a good one!
At first I went: Of course she's spinning... whoops! Glanced at the shadow!
Excellent.
herbie
Opponent

Postby Sovernty » Mar 24, 2009 11:04 pm

yep, I voted, as soon as the screen came back I had to change my mind. lol
Sovernty
Opponent

Postby Benz » Mar 24, 2009 11:13 pm

In my eyes, it's clockwise.

The creator took the time to do the tits. 8-)
Benz
Opponent

Postby BeaverFever » Mar 25, 2009 11:41 pm

I wonder it gives your brain a workout by staring at the picture and trying to make it bounce back and forth, like 1 spin left, 1 spin right. My default impression is "clockwise" but I think half the things on the right brain list are descriptive of me, the other half are on the other list!
"We rarely hear, it has been said, of the combinations of masters....but whoever imagines, upon this account, that masters rarely combine, is as ignorant of the world as of the subject." - Adam Smith, Wealth of Nations
BeaverFever
Opponent

Postby northstar » Mar 26, 2009 12:01 am

Clockwise. if we looked from below her then counter-clockwise and from above clockwise. This reminds me of the mirror images that mess with your head.
northstar
Supporter

Postby Windwalker » Mar 28, 2009 4:26 pm

At first glance, clockwise.
After a few seconds (and adding the shadow) it flipped to counter-closkwise.
A few seconds later I 'forced' it back to clockwise.
Stared at it for about 30 seconds to gain the ability to spin it either direction at will.
Began asking myself "which way is she really spinning?"
Tried to examine how she was 'leaning' into the spin for balance, and concluded that her movement is impossible.

Final assessment: "She" isn't spinning at at all. It is either an inanimate object shaped like a woman being spun mechanically, or, the "camera" is actually rotating around a fixed image. Given the 2-dimensional nature of the image, it is impossible to determine the direction of the spin (either of the object or the camera) without first determining if the "shadow" is part of the same image or a seperate image...

The true answer is that she is spinning both directions... Both possibilities are equally probable due to te 2-dimentional confines of the diagram as presented. (And that is assuming that it is even intended to represent a 3-dimentional image in the first place. One could also simply look at it as a 4-dimentional image of a flat object stretching from left to right that just happens to have the appearance of a 3-dimentional image.)
Windwalker
Supporter

Postby NJguy » Mar 29, 2009 11:33 am

It definitely changes directions very quick and subtly.
It is a haunted Place. The cedars that line the river banks stain the waters with their deep color. Stunted pitch pines stand motionless, their shallow roots anchored precariously in gleaming white sands. Silence reigns. -NJ Pine Barrens
NJguy
Supporter

Postby lesterBfearsome » Mar 29, 2009 8:42 pm

its the fact that its a 2D silhouette. our casted shadow is the same whether facing forward or backward. its the same shadow whether the left leg is out front, or the right leg.
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens
lesterBfearsome
Opponent

Postby Clubtender » Mar 29, 2009 11:23 pm

This is so typical of us. In a psychological test to determine if we are right or left brained, we pretty much disregard the results and try to figure how the test works. That's what I like about this site.
Clubtender
Supporter

Postby Canadian_Ambassador » Mar 30, 2009 5:04 am

I seriously have to struggle to see it clockwise. I'll see it clockwise for a bit, then I blink and it switches back to counter-clockwise. I've left and came back, still counter. Looks like a lot of right-brainers here according to the poll. Although I guess it does take imagination to be on a forum about the annexation of Canada into the US.

Benz wrote:In my eyes, it's clockwise.

...and Quebecois who already see their province as a separate nation. :lol: :P
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." - John F. Kennedy
Canadian_Ambassador
Opponent

Postby NeoNewEnglander » Apr 28, 2009 3:07 pm

I love this image. What's cool to me is that when you see her spinning clockwise, her right leg is lifted, but when you see her spinning counter-clockwise, her left leg sticks out. Obviously she's not switching legs, it's an optical illusion. Due to her being a silhouette, if you screen-grab the image when her shoulders are perfectly square, there's no way to tell if she's facing towards you or away from you. Your brain's interpretation of which way she is facing determines whether that lump of black is her right leg or her left leg.

I think it's something about her pivot foot that causes most people to see her spinning clockwise. When I "make" her spin counter-clockwise, something seems a little off and less natural. I also have a much easier time getting her to switch from counter-clockwise to clockwise, whereas to get back to counter-clockwise I usually have to look away and only see the image in my peripheral vision.
"The first duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government."
NeoNewEnglander
Supporter

Postby Frost7 » May 01, 2009 1:19 am

Neither.

It's facing away, then rotating 90° to the left, then 180° to the right, then 180° to the left... :wink:
Frost7
Supporter

Postby Americalex » May 04, 2009 10:07 am

Frost7 wrote:Neither.

It's facing away, then rotating 90° to the left, then 180° to the right, then 180° to the left... :wink:

Be careful not to go into an epileptic seisuze!! I know when I make it do that, I have to look away after a while because my brain complains!
Americalex
Supporter

Postby Occident » May 11, 2009 5:54 pm

Its stuck at counter-clockwise for me; I cant get her to change :?
"There is not in the British empire a man who more cordially loves a union with Great Britain than I do. But by the God that made me, I will cease to exist before I yield to a connection on such terms as the British Parliament propose." - Thomas Jefferson
Occident
Supporter

Postby Americalex » May 14, 2009 11:22 am

Occident wrote:Its stuck at counter-clockwise for me; I cant get her to change :?

Are you left-handed?
Americalex
Supporter

Postby Occident » May 14, 2009 5:45 pm

I'm right-handed, but its changed to clockwise now. I cant make it change while looking at it though, only by going away and comming back.
"There is not in the British empire a man who more cordially loves a union with Great Britain than I do. But by the God that made me, I will cease to exist before I yield to a connection on such terms as the British Parliament propose." - Thomas Jefferson
Occident
Supporter

Postby Canadian_Ambassador » May 15, 2009 12:22 am

I'm right handed too and I have to strain to see it clockwise.
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." - John F. Kennedy
Canadian_Ambassador
Opponent

Next

Return to Interests