The Fatness Map

The Fatness Map

Postby Americalex » Mar 31, 2009 5:13 pm

What's up with the SOUTH!!
Americalex
Supporter

Re: The Fatness Map

Postby lesterBfearsome » Mar 31, 2009 5:45 pm

everyone i know whose crossed the border into michigan are always shocked by the obvious increase in average weight.

heres a close up of america...

why is colorado an oasis of leanness?
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens
lesterBfearsome
Opponent

Postby Americalex » Mar 31, 2009 6:38 pm

Because of a mystical combination of Alpine Skiing, South Park and the strange paintings on the walls of Denver International Airport!
Americalex
Supporter

Postby Sovernty » Mar 31, 2009 11:26 pm

Americalex wrote:What's up with the SOUTH!!

too much time sitting down at church.
Sovernty
Opponent

Postby Americalex » Mar 31, 2009 11:48 pm

Sovernty wrote:
Americalex wrote:What's up with the SOUTH!!

too much time sitting down at church.

I blame Kentucky Fried Chicken, availability is mighty high there I hear.
Americalex
Supporter

Postby lesterBfearsome » Apr 01, 2009 1:06 am

much of the south is agriculture right? is there an economical reason to encourage gluttony?

you know i just saw a TV ad for wendy's "baconator" burger and i thought "how is it they can advertise that on TV but not cigarettes?"
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens
lesterBfearsome
Opponent

Postby Americalex » Apr 01, 2009 10:32 am

lesterBfearsome wrote:much of the south is agriculture right? is there an economical reason to encourage gluttony?

you know i just saw a TV ad for wendy's "baconator" burger and i thought "how is it they can advertise that on TV but not cigarettes?"

I think the relation is with climate. When it's hot you don't have any reason to move, you just sit there and eat and drink and eat.

In the cold climate of harsh Canada, you have to walk just to stay warm and you have to move and do stuff or you're dead. We may eat bacon and all the crap, but we have the cold weather to force our metabolism to consume more energy to keep us warm.

That and the fact that our alimentation is not fully dominated by corn based fatening products sponsored by the corporate cartels.
Americalex
Supporter

Postby lesterBfearsome » Apr 01, 2009 1:48 pm

i find it weird that regular everyday work can't keep people only a little bit over weight. americans have low unemployment, they can't be that lazy. and i figure the cold makes canadians more lazy! who wants to go outside when its -20?

canada must import a bunch of food, like during those cold months. fast food is a bit more expensive here, right? is there less cost incentive to buy cheap junk food?
lesterBfearsome
Opponent

Postby NJguy » Apr 02, 2009 8:31 pm

its obviously not just fast food. The South is well known for cooking unhealthily. They make some good food, just don't eat a lot of it.
It is a haunted Place. The cedars that line the river banks stain the waters with their deep color. Stunted pitch pines stand motionless, their shallow roots anchored precariously in gleaming white sands. Silence reigns. -NJ Pine Barrens
NJguy
Supporter

Postby BeaverFever » Apr 03, 2009 9:20 am

Yeah, when I lived in Florida, I couldn't believe how unhealthy "everyday" food is down there. Everything is battered and deep fried, and/or comes with gravy, even the vegetables, no kidding. High carb, high fat diet.

Plus there is a definite relationship between poverty rates and obesity. Poor people have to eat cheap food which is usually dense in calories and low in nutrition. The South is the poorer than other regions of the US and Mississippi is the country's poorest state. Even if you look at Canada, the poorest regions -the North, the Maritimes and Saskatchewan- are the fatter ones. Saskatchewan's recent economic success is only a couple of years old but the province is historically one of the poorest so that would explain their high fat rate.
"We rarely hear, it has been said, of the combinations of masters....but whoever imagines, upon this account, that masters rarely combine, is as ignorant of the world as of the subject." - Adam Smith, Wealth of Nations
BeaverFever
Opponent

Postby AncientUno » Apr 03, 2009 9:58 am

In most cases you are what you eat. I do have to agree that a lot of the cooking in the South is not the healthiest food, but darn some of that stuff tastes really good. Until people start cooking healthy (staying out of fast food joints and restaurants) put down the TV remote and video games, get a little exercise, the problem of obesity will remain with us.

In my little area of Central New York, they won't be selling many small car regardless of cost or gas mileage. Cause 90% of the people wouldn't fit in one.
AncientUno
Opponent

Postby Americalex » Apr 03, 2009 10:46 am

Notice how they designate Iceland... lol
Americalex
Supporter

Postby Occident » Apr 08, 2009 5:58 pm

Interesting, the BBC is always telling us Britain is Europes fatest country.

As for America; one explanation given in the recent TV series Stepehan Fry in America was that those parts of America that are traditionally agricultural, such as the south, developed high carb diets because they needed all the energy to burn off doing hard agricultural labour.
"There is not in the British empire a man who more cordially loves a union with Great Britain than I do. But by the God that made me, I will cease to exist before I yield to a connection on such terms as the British Parliament propose." - Thomas Jefferson
Occident
Supporter

Postby lesterBfearsome » Apr 08, 2009 8:25 pm

aye its why i believe im chubby, because my ancestral heritage is of laborers, who would have needed to store alot of energy (more efficiently) to get the work done. i don't eat a high carb diet, but i'm not very active. thats possibly the bigger fat-causing agent.

but there is an agricultural history almost everywhere, too.
lesterBfearsome
Opponent

Postby AjaxWoji » Apr 09, 2009 1:04 am

I think it is similarly true for my line also. I have been going to a gym since last September, and have a 20% body fat content now. I sweat most days as a result. I feel better, and I think better. I used to be just another pot belly guy. I read an article that indicated that if you exercise enough, your brain stops running on glucose, and begins to run on Lactate? (Something like that), so that the glucose can be saved for the muscles. The point I am making is that as you have hinted, I believe for a human to live a normal life, they must sweat quite often, and push their body/brain system into what is actually normal. (Not couch potato sugar and fat heaven).
I enjoyed our time mostly, now I am done.
AjaxWoji

Postby NJguy » Apr 13, 2009 2:08 pm

I don't know if this is fair, but I tend to notice that minorities in the US are often overweight. Its rare you see a Mexican who can be considered skinny, they are usually always fat and shorter. Black people can often be quite heavy as well. Asians on the other hand are pretty much always skinny.
It is a haunted Place. The cedars that line the river banks stain the waters with their deep color. Stunted pitch pines stand motionless, their shallow roots anchored precariously in gleaming white sands. Silence reigns. -NJ Pine Barrens
NJguy
Supporter

Postby BeaverFever » Apr 13, 2009 3:38 pm

NJguy wrote:I don't know if this is fair, but I tend to notice that minorities in the US are often overweight. Its rare you see a Mexican who can be considered skinny, they are usually always fat and shorter. Black people can often be quite heavy as well. Asians on the other hand are pretty much always skinny.

Ya that's fair, but I would argue that's socio-economic: Blacks and Mexicans are typically poorer than most while Asians have typically above-average incomes.

Although, "Soul Food" is basically southern cooking: lots of starch and fat and deep frying. Meanwhile Asian cooking seems to have much less fat and much more fish, veg and soy/tofu.
"We rarely hear, it has been said, of the combinations of masters....but whoever imagines, upon this account, that masters rarely combine, is as ignorant of the world as of the subject." - Adam Smith, Wealth of Nations
BeaverFever
Opponent

Postby lesterBfearsome » Apr 13, 2009 3:42 pm

asians, i think, tend to have stronger cultural roots, and their diet is much different. but for blacks and mexicans maybe its related to the poverty link beaver brought up...

the blacks kids i see are usually skinny anyway.
lesterBfearsome
Opponent

Postby AjaxWoji » Apr 13, 2009 11:36 pm

I think that self indulgence and frustration can be part of the problem. I should know. I could have been fit and trim long ago, and I know it would have caused my life to unfold in a better manner. I waited until my legs started to fail me in my beginning old age. I can say however, that the change has made the difference. My feet and legs used to hurt me a lot when I would go for a 40 minute walk, but little by little, I worked myself out of it. They don't hurt at all now. I guess a person in some cases has a choice to either loose their mobility, or claim it back.
I recommend fighting to take it back. It is well worth it.
I enjoyed our time mostly, now I am done.
AjaxWoji

Postby Foxfire » Apr 14, 2009 7:42 am

BeaverFever wrote:
NJguy wrote:I don't know if this is fair, but I tend to notice that minorities in the US are often overweight. Its rare you see a Mexican who can be considered skinny, they are usually always fat and shorter. Black people can often be quite heavy as well. Asians on the other hand are pretty much always skinny.

Ya that's fair, but I would argue that's socio-economic: Blacks and Mexicans are typically poorer than most while Asians have typically above-average incomes.

Although, "Soul Food" is basically southern cooking: lots of starch and fat and deep frying. Meanwhile Asian cooking seems to have much less fat and much more fish, veg and soy/tofu.

I've known overweight asians, but if you notice even in the poor Vietnamese they are often skinny. One reason is some of them still eat roughly the same meals their peasant ancestors ate. Rice and fish. There isn't a lot of substance in that to store as fat.
The ferret knows.
Foxfire
Supporter

Next

Return to Interests