Americalex
Supporter

Re: Video of the day

Postby Americalex » Dec 11, 2016 11:53 pm

Americalex
Supporter

Postby Americalex » Dec 29, 2016 10:43 pm

Jesus, the original Captain Janeway was a Quebec actress?!

Americalex
Supporter

Postby Windwalker » Dec 30, 2016 1:38 am

Americalex wrote:Jesus, the original Captain Janeway was a Quebec actress?!

I tried several times to watch Voyager, I dont think I ever made it through the whole first season.

My complaint was more that I felt it was sloppily produded, though some of the scripting was weak as well. Several supporting characters were being portrayed by actors with superior acting skills than the main characters (although most of the main characters didnt really have too much to work with).

Also, i think fans of DS9 were targeted too strongly (I watched DS9 several times, but started to lose interest when half the episodes started revolving around the quarky comic-relief farangi merchant, rather than on the cardashiine/Federation relation and the Commander and his Son).

I could have dealt with the flat, boring main characters (with flaws too mundain for them to be believable heros) had so many of the sci-fi theories being explored not been rehashed from other series.

At any rate, just this one little clip looked more interesting to me than the real show was, even if it did have the feel of a bunch of Naval Officers reciting lines to each other from a tecnical manual, as opposed to experienced crew members reacting to an emergency as a fluid team.
Windwalker
Supporter

Postby Americalex » Jan 03, 2017 11:11 am

I used to play the various iterations of star trek tabletob RPGs out there, the only good one was the oldest, which split the various functions of Star Fleet: military, exploration, research, colonization, etc. DS9 found its footing when it went all out military, the first few seasons were scary soap opera. Voyager was never great, the active shield or whatever turned into a batmobile effect that ridiculed the entire star trek sage in a single stroke, it was an awful show. I've been rewatching the bluray version of The Next Generation and it is truly excellent. The master records had great detail and sound. The new Discovery tv series looks set to be even worst (even more humanist) than Enterprise was... it is truly a descent into the broken minds of humanist failness when it comes to Star Trek over time lol The high point was TNG, The Original Series had some nice episodes but were mostly humanized.. TNG is really the one that struck closest to Gene's wishes.
Americalex
Supporter

Postby Hephaestos » Jan 22, 2017 2:25 am

The truth is like a lion, you don't have to defend it. Let it loose, it will defend itself. - St. Augustine of Hippo
Hephaestos
Supporter

Postby Fat Tony » Feb 19, 2017 9:09 pm

Apparently (well when this vid was made), you could take a cruise in the Aleutian Islands archipelago & visit the ruins of the Pacific War. Uncle Sam abandoned 2 bases there which at different points of the war, boasted 10,000 and 15,000 personnel. These two bases were Cape Air Force Base and Amchitka Air Force Base. Of course, in those times the bases had other names as the USAF was not yet in existence. No expense was spared, Uncle Sam was pissed off & was going to get satisfaction. What do you do with such a huge complex in a remote area once the need is gone? Well you stop bleeding $ and simply abandon everything which was carted up there & was too costly to remove. This is quite plainly, integral to military campaigns everywhere once they are finished. I first heard of these abandoned facilities in the concise and engaging writings of Edwin P. Hoyt.

Edit: I understand there were many emergency strips constructed, many of which are abandoned but not documented. Whether this is by design or just due to the haste in those days, I have not a clue.
eh
Fat Tony
Supporter

Postby Americalex » Feb 20, 2017 3:10 pm

Americalex
Supporter

Postby Fat Tony » Mar 21, 2017 12:25 am

Always two men alone sketchy! :mrgreen:
eh
Fat Tony
Supporter

Postby Windwalker » Mar 26, 2017 4:18 pm

I am currently blessed with a 1 year old child, and all the wonderful media that comes along with it. Thank you, Australia, for giving us "The Wiggles!"

"When I get all Steamed Up, and start to Shout!!!!!" lol
Windwalker
Supporter

Postby Fat Tony » Mar 27, 2017 11:05 pm

Congratulations! My niece has recently got in the family way, & it was welcome news in this dreary late winter month. My grandmother used to call March "the long and hungry month". The wisdom of our elders! : - ) All the best!
eh
Fat Tony
Supporter

Postby Americalex » Apr 15, 2017 10:46 pm

Americalex
Supporter

Postby Americalex » Apr 25, 2017 4:16 pm

Americalex
Supporter

Postby Bearsy » Jun 23, 2017 7:42 pm

Checkmate, atheists
Radical Centrist
Bearsy
Opponent

Postby Fat Tony » Jun 29, 2017 1:52 am

Kay Wilson
eh
Fat Tony
Supporter

Postby Bearsy » Aug 09, 2017 12:24 am

Radical Centrist
Bearsy
Opponent

Postby Bayowolf » Aug 17, 2017 7:31 pm

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans."
~~Sir Winston O'Boogie

"Free your mind and your ass will follow"
~~George Clinton
Bayowolf
Supporter

Postby Americalex » Sep 20, 2017 11:25 pm

Italian-Quebecer

Americalex
Supporter

Postby Bearsy » Sep 21, 2017 11:29 pm

Radical Centrist
Bearsy
Opponent

Postby Americalex » Sep 28, 2017 12:27 pm

I was open to giving it a fair hearing, but the pseudo-intellectual mumbo jumbo early on, thinly veiled deconstructionism railroading the listener towards the good old pantheistic subset of the humanist paradigm. I wished I could have lasted longer than the first 10 minutes, but that was a long enough window to give without any return at all on the time investment. Maybe the rest is great but I'll never know because they lost me at 10 minutes of free floating fact free meanderings mixed with multiple arrogant/offensive false humanist assumptions.
Americalex
Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to Interests