Technology of the Day

Re: Technology of the Day

Postby Fat Tony » Aug 25, 2017 10:19 am

Americalex wrote:

Not bad for an overview but a coagulant is a substance added to destabalize a colloidal suspension (in terms of waste water treatment). This is usually an iron or aluminum salt. The flocculant is the polymer that is then added to cause the flocculant to agglomerate onto the unwanted particles of turd or other debris. :mrgreen:

Her thumbnail is good but it is more related to stormwater treatment. More and more you are seeing cyclonic storm water impoundments that serve to settle out the sediments under the manhole by the curb or what have you. The only thing then is having someone to regularly come to the little cyclonic impoundment to collect & dispose of the sediment and other debris in it. Stormwater impoundments are becoming more common to see in new municipal developments.
eh
Fat Tony
Supporter

Postby Windwalker » Aug 26, 2017 11:08 am

Fat Tony wrote:
Americalex wrote:

Not bad for an overview but a coagulant is a substance added to destabalize a colloidal suspension (in terms of waste water treatment). This is usually an iron or aluminum salt. The flocculant is the polymer that is then added to cause the flocculant to agglomerate onto the unwanted particles of turd or other debris. :mrgreen:

Her thumbnail is good but it is more related to stormwater treatment. More and more you are seeing cyclonic storm water impoundments that serve to settle out the sediments under the manhole by the curb or what have you. The only thing then is having someone to regularly come to the little cyclonic impoundment to collect & dispose of the sediment and other debris in it. Stormwater impoundments are becoming more common to see in new municipal developments.

They have implemented a system like this in Portland, Oregon, where pockets of vegitation filter the run-off from the streets before it goes down the stormdrain.... then crews come around and shovel up, mearure the volume of, and take samples of the collected sludge to be examined in a lab.

The biggest problem with the system is convincing appartment-dwellers the little grassy-plant patches aren't intended as a recepticle for their toy-dog's feces.
Windwalker
Supporter

Postby Americalex » Oct 07, 2017 11:44 am

Every ocean going survival raft should have something inspired by this, -item-

Americalex
Supporter

Forensic Veterinary study - mass die offs of mammals in fore

Postby Fat Tony » Oct 07, 2017 4:05 pm

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2017 ... e-ecology/

6000 lbs of hog carcasses placed in forest study area and monitored over time.

In nature, mass mortality sometimes happens. More than 200,000 saiga antelopes in Kazakhstan drop dead in a matter of weeks; 337 dead whales wash up in a remote fjord in southern Chile; some 300 reindeer in Norway are felled by a single bolt of lightning— all that has happened since 2015. There’s evidence such spectacular displays of death are increasing in frequency due to climate change.

Growing Lamps and stools from fungus:

https://www.reuters.com/video/2017/09/1 ... =372555683
eh
Fat Tony
Supporter

Postby Fat Tony » Nov 09, 2017 10:53 pm

Americalex wrote:Every ocean going survival raft should have something inspired by this, -item-

Nice, thanks for posting. As an aside, I have a pyrex distillation apparatus on my santa pls. list.

Also a titration rig & drying oven would be nice.

Maybe even a nice ph tester or lifetime supply of litmus paper and finally phenolpthalein & methylene blue.
Might just start with a retort like the alchemists used. Then I could say to debaters: "hey I always have a retort!"
eh
Fat Tony
Supporter

Postby Fat Tony » Nov 13, 2017 4:21 pm

Sometimes you just have to say fuddle duddle. . .
eh
Fat Tony
Supporter

Postby Fat Tony » Nov 18, 2017 6:26 pm

Tech. has been around for some time. It works.
eh
Fat Tony
Supporter

Postby Bearsy » Nov 19, 2017 1:46 am

does bacon turn out ok when cooked like that?
Radical Centrist
Bearsy
Opponent

Postby Windwalker » Nov 19, 2017 1:24 pm

Bearsy wrote:does bacon turn out ok when cooked like that?

It takes a little more finesse than a standard range, but with some practice it is the same as using a gas-powered stove.

It works best if there are members of the party that don't mind "dog-tongue" bacon or crispy-black, for the campfire chef still finding the balance of his culinary technique.
Windwalker
Supporter

Postby Fat Tony » Nov 21, 2017 12:14 am

It is best to: stick with boiled dishes, lining the interior of the case with aluminium foil, or have junior privates clean out the stoves after endex. :mrgreen:
eh
Fat Tony
Supporter

Postby Americalex » Nov 22, 2017 10:28 am

At my after high school graduation party way back when, I remember cooking bacon on a camping stove like this as we were all out on a camping island. The highlight of that memory is a girl seeing me do this being overtaken with nausea and running away to throw up in a nearby bush. Little did I know, I had just woken up from an alcohol induced coma and have been puking for the past 6 hours while convulsing like a zombie lol Her sensibilities were offended by my suddenly callous act of cooking eggs in the bacon grease combined to the memory of seeing me in the convulsing retching catatonic state of the past few hours.. it was too much for her. Never mix 8 XXX beers and 30 ounces of JD (the last ten were lost in the confusion), not with H and pot at least.
Americalex
Supporter

Postby Fat Tony » Nov 23, 2017 6:14 pm

The propane & butane versions work ok but I would not depend on them in a cold winter woodland scenario.

For the propane & butane burners I would keep them for spring, fall, summer camping & blackout use at home (all with precautions of course.)
eh
Fat Tony
Supporter

Postby Americalex » Nov 23, 2017 7:26 pm

Previous generation military technology of the day:

Americalex
Supporter

Postby Fat Tony » Nov 23, 2017 8:41 pm

eh
Fat Tony
Supporter

Postby Fat Tony » Dec 15, 2017 1:05 am

Work of the American Operation Alsos teams, in November 1944, uncovered leads which took them to a company in Paris that handled rare earths and had been taken over by theAuergesellschaft. This, combined with information gathered in the same month through an Alsos team in Strasbourg, confirmed that the AuergesellschaftOranienburg plant was involved in the production of uranium and thorium metals. Since the plant was to be in the future Soviet zone of occupation and the Russian troops would get there before the Allies, GeneralLeslie Groves, commander of the Manhattan Project, recommended to General George Marshall that the plant be destroyed by aerial bombardment, in order to deny its uranium production equipment to the Russians. On 15 March 1945, 612 B-17 Flying Fortressbombers of the Eighth Air Force dropped 1,506 tons of high-explosive and 178 tons of incendiary bombs on the plant. Riehl visited the site with the Russians and said that the facility was mostly destroyed. Riehl also recalled long after the war that the Russians knew precisely why the Americans had bombed the facility – the attack had been directed at them rather than the Germans

Technology: waging deniable war

Auergesellschaft merged with The Mine Safety Appliances Corp. in 1958.
eh
Fat Tony
Supporter

Postby Fat Tony » Dec 27, 2017 12:42 am

https://www.regjeringen.no/en/topics/defence/id215/

Tech of the day: long term result based planning-execution & follow up. In this case the defence of Norway.

Or is it just another defence white paper?

Can Norway really afford an average Cdn. style defence white paper in today's world? Doubtful

403 error when putting in question mark.
eh
Fat Tony
Supporter

Postby Americalex » Dec 27, 2017 10:13 am

Is it a pasted question mark?
Americalex
Supporter

Postby Fat Tony » Dec 27, 2017 2:10 pm

I was using a mobile device at the time however I am not sure if that had anything to do with it. I think I punched it in using the keypad on the device.
eh
Fat Tony
Supporter

Postby Americalex » Dec 27, 2017 2:23 pm

I suspect it was the result of a demonic influence by satan himself, taking over your smartphone app to cause low level mischief in your life so that you may recoil in the knowledge of his power!
Americalex
Supporter

Postby Fat Tony » Dec 28, 2017 2:53 am

Damn and blast! He (th' ol' boy) is gaining on me!:0
eh
Fat Tony
Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to Interests