Turkish Ground Troops Invade Syria.

Re: Turkish Ground Troops Invade Syria.

Postby Fat Tony » Mar 03, 2018 9:35 pm

So it is possible both sides(if only two sides) are surreptitiously feeding the fellow travellers into the meatgrinder.

Difficult to get any hard info out of the area. I suppose the letter agencies have a better grasp on that side of things. Playing both ends against the middle?
eh
Fat Tony
Supporter

Postby Fat Tony » Mar 03, 2018 9:49 pm

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-42704542

Bbc overview also stripped of sensitive information. Seems this is a characteristic of reportage on the situation. Not really surprising.
eh
Fat Tony
Supporter

Postby Windwalker » Mar 04, 2018 12:43 pm

It would seem the 1 million civilians in Afrin are trying to shift to a full-scale Civil Disobedience strategy....

They better be careful, they could be playing right into the Turks' hand here (i.e. moving large groups of people away from Turkey's actual objective to a decoy location).
Windwalker
Supporter

Postby Windwalker » Mar 04, 2018 1:04 pm

Fat Tony wrote:So it is possible both sides (if only two sides) are surreptitiously feeding the fellow travellers into the meatgrinder.

If some asked you to "Please describe the modus operatum of the Ottoman Empire that allowed for a multi-century period of expansion over a vast swath of territory, in 20 words or less"

Your comment here would have nailed it as the answer to that question. Johnny Turk didn't get a reputation as a back-stabbing rumor-monger by being Chivalrous or by following any sort of code of honor, for that matter.
Windwalker
Supporter

Postby Fat Tony » Mar 07, 2018 9:26 am

From various sources, France is quite upset over the Turk invasion. Turk accused France of being terrorists, paraphrasing President Bush's with us or against us quote. Turk claims there was a # of Isis fighters in Afrin, a claim that has been refuted by the Associated Press. US civilian officials in Washington are not on the same page as US military in the field in the region. Have not seen or heard much from France since their initial complaints back in late January.

To add, I perused an article chronicling the unnecessary civilian casualties caused by deliberate Turk airforce attacks. Entire families sleeping in their homes have been wiped out, nothing to do with YPG fighters.
eh
Fat Tony
Supporter

Postby Americalex » Mar 07, 2018 10:19 am

The YPG have now halted operations against ISIS and i saw one report of 20000 leaving the frontline to reinforce Afrin. Only the rookie component of the SDF is now left to patrol and defend the vast areas captured from ISIS and keep them contained.

Another 1700 of arab SDF went in Afrin as well, saying they have relatives who fled aleppo that are living in Afrin. On the flip side it seems like the resistance forces are preventing people from leaving Afrin, charging as much as 2k a head for exceptions.

I also seems that Tillerson defused the clash with a deal that everybody signed up to (except maybe the kurds?). Russia and Syria get afrin. Kurds evacuate east of the Euphrates, Turkish and Americans join up in Manbij.

If anything it's the Turks who've been using former ISIS who fled the frontlines as their cannon fodder in the ongoing operations in Afrin province. Such a small chunk of land and so little progress.
Americalex
Supporter

Postby Fat Tony » Mar 07, 2018 10:40 am

https://warontherocks.com/2018/01/turke ... meets-eye/

^pre-invasion analysis of the situation.

Hah. It is interesting to think of the situation. The Turks took it upon themselves to do this. Have they thought about whether they can now stay or leave on their own terms? I sense there is a flurry of activity behind the scenes in D.C. and Brussells. The Brussells activity may however be more related to the lunchtime rush for biere mit pomme frits & mosselen. :mrgreen:

Seems like the the article at theblog link suggests the Russians have troops in Afrin & control the airspace in that area. Turks apparently need permission to conduct air operations.

Below is a n overview of the history of Afrin.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afrin,_Syria

Below is a brief overview of Hatay Province.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hatay_Province
eh
Fat Tony
Supporter

Postby Windwalker » Mar 08, 2018 11:03 pm

Hey I found this video of some totally random guy attempting to play the "Turkish March" on the piano. I sort of like the way this piece reverberates in a plinky little out-of-tune practice piano, it almost lends more to the duldrum hum-hum a Turkish Army encampment must have felt in the 18th and 19th centuries.
Windwalker
Supporter

Postby Fat Tony » Mar 09, 2018 9:27 am

https://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles ... acle-syria

A bit on the recent massacre of Russian mercenaries.
eh
Fat Tony
Supporter

Postby Windwalker » Mar 09, 2018 10:42 am

If Russia wants to play the "no patches" game and send its Soldiers in to die like Muslim dogs for Putin's oil greed, let them, it will be their own undoing.

For all his craftiness, projects, and scheming, Putin still hasn't figured out that over 90% of the world population will never be tricked into backing a guy who gasses his own civilians. Maybe the CIA is right and Putin really is an idiot-savant?
Windwalker
Supporter

Postby Americalex » Mar 09, 2018 1:28 pm

The new cold war line-up seems to be:

Britain <> Russia
Israel <> Iran
USA <> China

With Turkey ultimately shifting sides.
Americalex
Supporter

Postby Windwalker » Mar 09, 2018 3:10 pm

Americalex wrote:The new cold war line-up seems to be:

Britain <> Russia
Israel <> Iran
USA <> China

With Turkey ultimately shifting sides.

USA <> China doesn't really match up, considering China is hell-bent on carrying out their asinine late-19th century plan of developing a hegeminous Empire in the Pacific. As long as the US maintains good relations with the other Pacific Nations, China will never grow strong enough to dominate (or even compete with, for that matter) the rest of the region....

It is almost to the point where South Korea, North Korea, Japan, Malaysia, the Philippines, Thailand, or even Vietnam are ALL growing strong enough to independently compete with China. China's plan has already failed. It might have worked if the Communists hadn't murdered half of the Chinese population.
Windwalker
Supporter

Postby Americalex » Mar 09, 2018 4:27 pm

And with the new unlimited rule and expanded power China of Xi Jinping, the days Deng Xiaoping are fading and if anything it is a return the Mao Tse Tung type of garbage that is already showing signs of self-mutilation (such as the growingly ridiculous internet control systems that are undermining even basic business "taken for granted" economic activity).

The core of the SCO strategy seems to be angled at soft powering their economic survival through a radical loan program with undevelopped countries with an eye on linking up infrastructure between Bejing and Bruxels (i.e. France and Germany, that block that is fast becoming unaligned). Wresting continental Europe and Africa from Anglo-American influence?

It's their way to keep the steel mills running etc. And it is a concerted challenge to the current American hegemony. Are carriers becoming outmoded similar to the way battleships were in WW2? Still useful but no longer effective against core rivals and an increasing liability in case of actual conflict with modern powers?
Americalex
Supporter

Postby Fat Tony » Mar 09, 2018 4:37 pm

The Russians apparently do not honour the spirit of the CWC. On a quick read of what the CWC is about, well it seems vague & loosey - goosey on whether it is considered ok for deniable extra legal assassinations. It seems NK & Russia have interpreted the treaty on that score & think they are gtg.

It sets a bad precedent.

We are seeing the advent & operational use of so called suicide weapons, that is the unmanned autonomous kind, small tactical versions designed to take out an enemy o.p, mg. or mortar psn.

I am surprised terrorists have not fielded them for some unusual attacks.

The things are coming more and more into the fore.

Do the Kurds use these kinds of drones? Seems made to order for them. Immune to counter battery fire. It would be something they might be able to pull off. Sigint & E.W. seem to be the main stumbling block with these.

The media stories seem to mention the Kurds lack artillery support were it not for US help in certain situations.
eh
Fat Tony
Supporter

Postby Fat Tony » Mar 09, 2018 4:45 pm

Man has Turk taken over Apple? Forum sw. seems to hate Android. :mrgreen:
eh
Fat Tony
Supporter

Postby Americalex » Mar 09, 2018 5:44 pm

A discord channel would really do a fine job to replace these forums I think. Mix it with a youtube channel where we can have voice conversations about various topics to contribute an alternative narrative vision on how to navigate reality and bingo, it could be a really interesting way forward while keeping the same vital core drivers as ever.
Americalex
Supporter

Postby Fat Tony » Mar 10, 2018 1:00 pm

L.l. I will have to finally update the browser on my fone! :mrgreen:
eh
Fat Tony
Supporter

Postby Windwalker » Mar 11, 2018 4:40 am

Americalex wrote:A discord channel would really do a fine job to replace these forums I think. Mix it with a youtube channel where we can have voice conversations about various topics to contribute an alternative narrative vision on how to navigate reality and bingo, it could be a really interesting way forward while keeping the same vital core drivers as ever.

Like shifting from an open internet forum about an idea, to more of a think-tank operation aimed at implementing the idea?

americalex wrote:It's their way to keep the steel mills running etc. And it is a concerted challenge to the current American hegemony. Are carriers becoming outmoded similar to the way battleships were in WW2? Still useful but no longer effective against core rivals and an increasing liability in case of actual conflict with modern powers?

Most of the US Navy is already obsolete (I think something like 80%) and is not configured in a way that modern defensive-batteries and nuclear-electric systems can be retrofitted without crippling or dismantling existing systems on the ship.

I don't think anyone else is doing much better, though, so the sheer numbers give us the advantage in that if only a few dozen of our ships managed to survive the first few volleys, we still would likely be the dominant force. Also, US Naval vessels currently under construction are like an erector-set on the inside of the ship to prevent this type of issue from happening again. They can be re-configured internally in just about any way imaginable in a matter of weeks, rather than the years it would take to overhaul some of the Old diesel-electrics still in service.
Windwalker
Supporter

Postby Americalex » Mar 12, 2018 9:34 am

Yes a more assertive drive. We continue with the Canada-USA union as a catalyst for the West to rejuvenate, but resort to podcasts in order to communicate a compelling capitalist narrative that people can relate to in order to provide a context for the call to action. I'm about to purchase equipment for pro-grade voice recording and then I intend to cover every relevant topic imaginable, I was thinking that you could be an excellent contributor if you want to participate also. All those years of brainstorming on these forums, externalized into a structured product basically.

All the content always free, with patreon to allow those who value the message, allowing them to ask questions and even dictate the topic of entire episodes depending on their subscription type, posted to youtube but first streamed on itunes and the equivalents upon release. Pro sound with video to fully engage. I think we have probably the most civilized outlook on things out there, it's an understanding that deserves to be shared and disseminated to help others achieve an informed perspective as well.
Americalex
Supporter

Postby Windwalker » Mar 19, 2018 8:58 am

Looks like it is over for the YPG in Afrin. It will be interesting to see what direction Turkey takes now with its momentum. Pivot against Assad, pissing Putins off, or push eastward against Coalition forces and certain death?
Windwalker
Supporter

PreviousNext

Return to Events