Quote of the Day

Re: Quote of the Day

Postby Bayowolf » Feb 12, 2018 1:04 pm

"It is not merely for the day, but for all time to come, that we should perpetuate for our children's children that great and free government which we have enjoyed all our lives.

~~President Abraham Lincoln to the troops of the 166th Ohio Regiment

An illustration of the Decline of the West:

Happy Lincoln's Birthday, Y'All!!
"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."
~~George Orwell

"[A] nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people."
~~John Fitzgerald Kennedy
Bayowolf
Supporter

Postby Bayowolf » Feb 12, 2018 2:12 pm

Ol' Abe was quite the quotable guy:

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."
~~George Orwell

"[A] nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people."
Bayowolf
Supporter

Postby Fat Tony » Feb 12, 2018 5:31 pm

I wonder if there are public docs available concerning his opinion on the use of wmd's on CSA troops? Supposedly Seward was presented with the idea. I am supposing there was no way to employ the war gases en mass before people like Haber came along some time later. Considering that they were making percussion small arms out of some very crude materials to use against the other, this would indicate resources were being stretched.
eh
Fat Tony
Supporter

Postby Bayowolf » Feb 13, 2018 12:55 pm

While the use of NBC weapons in the Civil War wouldn't have surprised me, I am not aware of any use of it by the Union forces beyond the use of incendiaries. I have read about a proposal that involved putting liquid chlorine into artillery shells and a proposal to attack Southern positions with hydrochloric and sulphuric gasses but, IFAK, nothing ever came of those proposals.

I haven't read anything about President Lincoln's opinions on this.
~~George Orwell

Bayowolf
Supporter

Postby Fat Tony » Feb 15, 2018 7:08 pm

Excuse the format. On a small scale such as for assassinations, it would have been in the realm of possibility imo. For use on a major offensive, not even the North had the wherewithall; unless I am mistaken. I am no expert on 19th century wars.

Anyways, the strategic mindset seemed more aligned with the employment of human capital, you know, 25,000 guys charging with fixed bayonets. Innovation not needed, not even in field hospitals.

Bayowolf wrote:While the use of NBC weapons in the Civil War wouldn't have surprised me, I am not aware of any use of it by the Union forces beyond the use of incendiaries. I have read about a proposal that involved putting liquid chlorine into artillery shells and a proposal to attack Southern positions with hydrochloric and sulphuric gasses but, IFAK, nothing ever came of those proposals.

I haven't read anything about President Lincoln's opinions on this.
eh
Fat Tony
Supporter

Postby Fat Tony » Feb 16, 2018 3:44 pm

The Schleswig-Holstein question is so complicated, only three men in Europe have ever understood it. One was Prince Albert, who is dead. The second was a German professor who became mad. I am the third and I have forgotten all about it.

Henry John Temple Palmerston

eh
Fat Tony
Supporter

Postby Americalex » Feb 16, 2018 3:47 pm

Fat Tony wrote:
The Schleswig-Holstein question is so complicated, only three men in Europe have ever understood it. One was Prince Albert, who is dead. The second was a German professor who became mad. I am the third and I have forgotten all about it.

Henry John Temple Palmerston

The Second Schleswig War resolved the Schleswig–Holstein Question violently, by forcing the king of Denmark to renounce (on 1 August 1864) all his rights in the duchies in favour of Emperor Franz Joseph I of Austria and King William I of Prussia. 8-)
Americalex
Supporter

Postby Fat Tony » Feb 16, 2018 5:06 pm

Even today the juristictional questions of the region are still being worked out. You might have caught short excerpts from the recent Danish series recounting some of the key events of the second war.

"Year zero" seems to be 1945 for this ongoing issue.
eh
Fat Tony
Supporter

Re: Irina to Lawrence - heartfelt words or setup?

Postby Fat Tony » Feb 22, 2018 9:34 pm

I have not seen one place on the net which has the following quote unless the full series transcripts have been uploaded somewhere.

Lawrence, listen! I'm talking to you. This is my gift for you in case they take me away before I can speak to Alleline.

I would prefer to give you my life Lawrence, but I think it more likely that this wretched secret will be all I have to make you happy. Use it well.

I started to tell you about Ivlov, who is known in London, or used to be; as Lapin. And about Viktorov, who is really Poliakov. The mole in London is known by the code name of Gerald.

There are many remarkable measures to preserve his security, the most secret imaginable. Written reports from Gerald to Karla in Moscow Centre are cut in two and sent by separate couriers even after coding. And Gerald's output has sometimes been almost too much for Poliakov to handle. Some of it is spoken on to tape at secret meetings and can only be played back on special machines; and there is also undeveloped film. And anyone opening the reels the wrong way, destroys it immediately.

Lawrence, this is the secret I'm giving to you with all my love.

The mole Gerald is a high functionary in British intelligence, very close to the head of The Circus.Take care with this knowledge.

I'm telling you this because I'm afraid it is all finished for me.

The guards have started watching me like animals. Have you been indiscreet Lawrence? Did you tell them in London more than you let me think? Now you understand why only Alleline would do. But do not blame yourself.

Will they let us live in Scotland Lawrence? I've read everything about Scotland. It is The Garden of Eden, isn't it?

In my heart I am free. Deep inside me burns a new and blessed light.

I used to think the secret world was a separate place, and I was banished forever to an island of half people. But God has shown me we have only to open the door and step outside to be free.

Lawrence, you must always long for the light which I have found. It is called love.

Now I shall take this to our secret place while there is still time.

If anyone has read the book, which might contain further clues, don't spoil it for us!
eh
Fat Tony
Supporter

Postby Fat Tony » Mar 18, 2018 11:35 pm

Danny Costanzo: [on car phone, in strange voice]
Uh, hello? Can I talk to Detective Sigliano and Detective Montoya pleeeassse? My name is Pinky, is this the detective? Hi, I usually inform for Hughes and Costanzo but they don' pay me no mo'... Oh, no! Oh, I'm watching the new "Jeopardy!" and a man missed a Bible question because he did not know what Deuteronomy waaaas! Oh yeah, I'll help you. I want you to get Gonzales and show up Hughes and Costanzo, they don't pay me no mo' and I'm maaaddd! Oh, no! Ya dummy, the answer is ipswich clams! The man who can take you to Gonzales, his name is Adam Robertson. He's a high-fallutin' lawyer type who lives at 1358 Lake Shore Drive. Oh, Motha! Motha! Can I have some more petite marshmallows in my hot cocoa... Gotta go, Final Jeopardy's on!
eh
Fat Tony
Supporter

Postby Fat Tony » May 12, 2018 10:38 pm

Righteous among the nations. Not even Josef Stalin himself could so much as lay a finger on him.
eh
Fat Tony
Supporter

Previous

Return to People