Quote of the Day

Re: Quote of the Day

Postby Bayowolf » Feb 12, 2018 1:04 pm

"It is not merely for the day, but for all time to come, that we should perpetuate for our children's children that great and free government which we have enjoyed all our lives.

~~President Abraham Lincoln to the troops of the 166th Ohio Regiment

An illustration of the Decline of the West:

Happy Lincoln's Birthday, Y'All!!
"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."
~~George Orwell

"[A] nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people."
~~John Fitzgerald Kennedy
Bayowolf
Supporter

Postby Bayowolf » Feb 12, 2018 2:12 pm

Ol' Abe was quite the quotable guy:

"The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those who speak it."
~~George Orwell

"[A] nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people."
Bayowolf
Supporter

Postby Fat Tony » Feb 12, 2018 5:31 pm

I wonder if there are public docs available concerning his opinion on the use of wmd's on CSA troops? Supposedly Seward was presented with the idea. I am supposing there was no way to employ the war gases en mass before people like Haber came along some time later. Considering that they were making percussion small arms out of some very crude materials to use against the other, this would indicate resources were being stretched.
eh
Fat Tony
Supporter

Postby Bayowolf » Feb 13, 2018 12:55 pm

While the use of NBC weapons in the Civil War wouldn't have surprised me, I am not aware of any use of it by the Union forces beyond the use of incendiaries. I have read about a proposal that involved putting liquid chlorine into artillery shells and a proposal to attack Southern positions with hydrochloric and sulphuric gasses but, IFAK, nothing ever came of those proposals.

I haven't read anything about President Lincoln's opinions on this.
~~George Orwell

Bayowolf
Supporter

Postby Fat Tony » Feb 15, 2018 7:08 pm

Excuse the format. On a small scale such as for assassinations, it would have been in the realm of possibility imo. For use on a major offensive, not even the North had the wherewithall; unless I am mistaken. I am no expert on 19th century wars.

Anyways, the strategic mindset seemed more aligned with the employment of human capital, you know, 25,000 guys charging with fixed bayonets. Innovation not needed, not even in field hospitals.

Bayowolf wrote:While the use of NBC weapons in the Civil War wouldn't have surprised me, I am not aware of any use of it by the Union forces beyond the use of incendiaries. I have read about a proposal that involved putting liquid chlorine into artillery shells and a proposal to attack Southern positions with hydrochloric and sulphuric gasses but, IFAK, nothing ever came of those proposals.

I haven't read anything about President Lincoln's opinions on this.
eh
Fat Tony
Supporter

Postby Fat Tony » Feb 16, 2018 3:44 pm

The Schleswig-Holstein question is so complicated, only three men in Europe have ever understood it. One was Prince Albert, who is dead. The second was a German professor who became mad. I am the third and I have forgotten all about it.

Henry John Temple Palmerston

eh
Fat Tony
Supporter

Postby Americalex » Feb 16, 2018 3:47 pm

Fat Tony wrote:
The Schleswig-Holstein question is so complicated, only three men in Europe have ever understood it. One was Prince Albert, who is dead. The second was a German professor who became mad. I am the third and I have forgotten all about it.

Henry John Temple Palmerston

The Second Schleswig War resolved the Schleswig–Holstein Question violently, by forcing the king of Denmark to renounce (on 1 August 1864) all his rights in the duchies in favour of Emperor Franz Joseph I of Austria and King William I of Prussia. 8-)
Americalex
Supporter

Postby Fat Tony » Feb 16, 2018 5:06 pm

Even today the juristictional questions of the region are still being worked out. You might have caught short excerpts from the recent Danish film recounting some of the key events of the second war.

"Year zero" seems to be 1945 for this ongoing issue.
eh
Fat Tony
Supporter

Previous

Return to People