Quote of the Day

Quote of the Day

Postby Americalex » Apr 17, 2010 2:34 am

“A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those within the gate freely, his sly whispers rustling through all the alleys, heard in the very halls of government itself. For the traitor appears not a traitor; he speaks in accents familiar to his victims, and he wears their face and their arguments, he appeals to the baseness that lies deep in the hearts of all men. He rots the soul of a nation, he works secretly and unknown in the night to undermine the pillars of the city, he infects the body politic so that it can no longer resist. A murderer is less to fear. The traitor is the plague." - Cicero
Americalex
Supporter

Re: Quote of the Day

Postby pieman97405 » Apr 17, 2010 1:44 pm

"Every good citizen makes his country's honor his own, and cherishes it not only as precious but as sacred. He is willing to risk his life in its defense and its conscious that he gains protection while he gives it." - Andrew Jackson
The Constitution and the laws are supreme and the Union indissoluble. -Andrew Jackson
The movement for a modern Mexican Reconquista is disgustingly and shamelessly promoted by bitter atheist fucks who have rejected all sacredness in the world. -Alex
pieman97405
Supporter

Postby lesterBfearsome » May 10, 2010 12:09 am

I doubt any of these are real

French is essentially the language that Americans don't learn before travelling abroad.
--Dan Seriff

French is what happened when Germans tried to learn Latin and said "screw it."
--Charles Lavergne

Franche est essentialement englaishe ouithe les endinges funnies et lottes de vowelles et les adjectifs en alle les places ronges.
--Clint Jackson Baker

French is essentially the linguistic equivalent of a really bad tailgating accident in which all the final consonants either are lost or stuck on the windshield of the next car.
--Hanbing Feng

http://mercury.ccil.org/~cowan/essential.html#French

Canadian English is American English spoken by a Scotsman who's trying to console a bereaved Frenchman.
--Ken Westmoreland

:lol:
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens
lesterBfearsome
Opponent

Postby pieman97405 » May 13, 2010 12:28 am

But, my dear sirs, when peace does come, you may call on me for any thing. Then will I share with you the last cracker, and watch with you to shield your homes and families against danger from every quarter.

I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation. War is hell.

I hate newspapermen. They come into camp and pick up their camp rumors and print them as facts. I regard them as spies, which, in truth, they are.

I make up my opinions from facts and reasoning, and not to suit any body but myself. If people don't like my opinions, it makes little difference as I don't solicit their opinions or votes.

I think I understand what military fame is; to be killed on the field of battle and have your name misspelled in the newspapers.

All by, William Tecumseh Sherman
The Constitution and the laws are supreme and the Union indissoluble. -Andrew Jackson
The movement for a modern Mexican Reconquista is disgustingly and shamelessly promoted by bitter atheist fucks who have rejected all sacredness in the world. -Alex
pieman97405
Supporter

Postby lesterBfearsome » May 17, 2010 5:02 pm

The introduction of a new kind of music must be shunned as imperiling the whole state, for styles of music are never disturbed without affecting the most important political institutions. ... The new style, gradually gaining a lodgement, quitely insinuates itself into manners and customs, and from it ... goes on to attack laws and constitutions, displaying the utmost impudence, until it ends by overturning everything. -- Plato, "Republic", 370 B.C.
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens
lesterBfearsome
Opponent

Postby Clubtender » May 17, 2010 11:28 pm

"How strangely will the Tools of a Tyrant pervert the plain Meaning of Words!"

"Among the natural rights of the colonists are these: First a right to life, secondly to liberty, and thirdly to property; together with the right to defend them in the best manner they can."

"He who is void of virtuous attachments in private life is, or very soon will be, void of all regard for his country. There is seldom an instance of a man guilty of betraying his country, who had not before lost the feeling of moral obligations in his private connections."

"The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."

"The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards: And it is our duty to defend them against all attacks."

These are all quotes of Samuel Adams.
Clubtender
Supporter

Postby pieman97405 » May 23, 2010 10:05 pm

"We must Americanize in every way, in speech, in political ideas and principles, and in their way of looking at relations between church and state. We welcome the German and the Irishman who becomes an American. We have no use for the German or Irishman who remains such... He must revere only our flag, not only must it come first, but no other flag should even come second."
Theodore Roosevelt
pieman97405
Supporter

Postby Jonnycoolg » May 26, 2010 1:07 am

"It may be a reflection on human nature that such devices should be necessary to control the abuses of government. But what is government itself but the greatest of all reflections on human nature? If men were angels, no government would be necessary. If angels were to govern, neither external nor internal controls on government would be necessary. In framing a government which is to be administered by men over men, the great difficulty lies in this: You must first enable the government to control the governed; and in the next place oblige it to control itself."

-James Madison
"Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to be their own Governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge gives" - James Madison, 4th U.S. Presdient
Jonnycoolg

Postby pieman97405 » May 28, 2010 5:54 pm

Ted Kennedy on the 1965 immigration reform bill. I think he was wrong.

"First, our cities will not be flooded with a million immigrants annually. Under the proposed bill, the present level of immigration remains substantially the same.... Secondly, the ethnic mix of this country will not be upset.... Contrary to the charges in some quarters, [the bill] will not inundate America with immigrants from any one country or area, or the most populated and deprived nations of Africa and Asia.... In the final analysis, the ethnic pattern of immigration under the proposed measure is not expected to change as sharply as the critics seem to think.... It will not cause American workers to lose their jobs."
pieman97405
Supporter

Postby Americalex » May 28, 2010 6:46 pm

He knew he was wrong. He opened the gates purposefully with the intent of undermining American sovereignty and cohesion. That quote is him being an "in your face" liar, arrogantly confident in his full knowledge that the effect of his immigration policy is totally intended to be the opposite of what it was marketed to be.
Americalex
Supporter

Postby Clubtender » Jun 07, 2010 4:18 pm

"No people will tamely surrender their Liberties, nor can any be easily subdued, when knowledge is diffused and virtue is preserved. On the Contrary, when People are universally ignorant, and debauched in their Manners, they will sink under their own weight without the Aid of foreign invaders." - Samuel Adams
Clubtender
Supporter

Postby Fat Tony » Jun 07, 2010 8:04 pm

Hanging one scoundrel, it appears, does not deter the next. Well, what of it? The first one is at least disposed of.

For every complex problem, there is a solution that is simple, neat, and wrong.

Liberals have many tails and chase them all.

From H. L. Mencken
eh
Fat Tony
Supporter

Postby Fat Tony » Jun 12, 2010 4:53 pm

^actually some or all of those quotes are allegedly anonymous quotes designed to appear as though H.L. Mencken wrote them but meh they are close enough for me.
eh
Fat Tony
Supporter

Postby Clubtender » Jun 12, 2010 5:19 pm

"As it will be in the future, it was at the birth of Man
There are only four things certain since Social Progress began.
That the Dog returns to his Vomit and the Sow returns to her Mire,
And the burnt Fool's bandaged finger goes wabbling back to the Fire;

And that after this is accomplished, and the brave new world begins
When all men are paid for existing and no man must pay for his sins,
As surely as Water will wet us, as surely as Fire will burn,
The Gods of the Copybook Headings with terror and slaughter return!"

- Rudyard Kipling

http://www.kipling.org.uk/poems_copybook.htm
Clubtender
Supporter

Postby Fat Tony » Jun 12, 2010 7:51 pm

^the coming man?
eh
Fat Tony
Supporter

Postby Clubtender » Jun 12, 2010 8:03 pm

Fat Tony wrote:^the coming man?

It's the last two paragraphs of his 1919 poem "The Gods of the Copybook Headings". It was a dark time for Kipling. He lost his son the year before in WW1.
Clubtender
Supporter

Postby Fat Tony » Jun 12, 2010 10:01 pm

Men who have reached and passed forty-five, have a look as if waiting for the secret of the other world, and as if they were perfectly sure of having found out the secret of this.

Golda Meir
eh
Fat Tony
Supporter

Postby Deckhand2 » Jun 22, 2010 1:48 pm

"I spent 33 years and four months in active military service and during that period I spent most of my time as a high class thug for Big Business, for Wall Street and the bankers. In short, I was a racketeer, a gangster for capitalism. I helped make Mexico and especially Tampico safe for American oil interests in 1914. I helped make Haiti and Cuba a decent place for the National City Bank boys to collect revenues in. I helped in the raping of half a dozen Central American republics for the benefit of Wall Street. I helped purify Nicaragua for the International Banking House of Brown Brothers in 1902–1912. I brought light to the Dominican Republic for the American sugar interests in 1916. I helped make Honduras right for the American fruit companies in 1903. In China in 1927 I helped see to it that Standard Oil went on its way unmolested. Looking back on it, I might have given Al Capone a few hints. The best he could do was to operate his racket in three districts. I operated on three continents."

Smedley Butler
Deckhand2

Postby pieman97405 » Jul 06, 2010 8:13 pm

"The whole continent of North America appears to be destined by Divine Providence to be peopled by one nation, speaking one language, professing one general system of religious and political principles, and accustomed to one general tenor of social usages and customs. For the common happiness of them all, for their peace and prosperity, I believe it is indispensable that they should be associated in one federal Union."
John Quincy Adams.
pieman97405
Supporter

Postby Fat Tony » Jul 08, 2010 8:01 am

Clairvoyant, n.: A person, commonly a woman, who has the power of seeing that which is invisible to her patron - namely, that he is a blockhead.

Ambrose Bierce
eh
Fat Tony
Supporter

Next

Return to People