The "Statehood First" method?

The "Statehood First" method?

Postby Windwalker » Apr 04, 2018 11:00 pm

I don't think I have ever heard the "Statehood First" idea explored before. What I mean is what if, for example, Quebec voted to become a part of New York State? The State of New York might be more amicable to the idea, for example, than the DC crowd. I am assuming there is already protocol in place allowing direct communications along official channels between the State Governments that share a border with Quebec.

Vermont might even be a better option, it could be a way for Vermont to remain a State, but also buy into the Canadian healthcare system by absorbing Quebec. Of course, a provision could also be added to allow Quebec to eventually break from whatever State it joins and become up to 3 other States, or something like that, how Texas did.

I find myself wondering, which of Quebec's border States has a population and system of government most conducive to "absorbing" Quebec? New York, Vermont, New Hampshire, or Maine?
Windwalker
Supporter

Re: The "Statehood First" method?

Postby Nuke » Apr 22, 2018 11:21 pm

Only New York has the population to absorb Quebec like that. Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine wouldn't have the population for that sort of thing if they all merged together. Also, I'm pretty sure Congress would need to approve of this somehow.
Nuke
Supporter

Postby Americalex » Apr 23, 2018 1:22 pm

It's an interesting side door especially as it seems to fall in a grey area that is undefined lol But I guess the supreme court would probably end up confirming that it requires the ascent of congress as per being foreign lands etc. Interesting way to go at it however! "Quebec Petition to join Contiguous California" *hundreds of facepalm*

Actually California is currently taking a serious look at breaking itself up into three chunks?
Americalex
Supporter

Postby Windwalker » Apr 23, 2018 6:17 pm

California has been talking about breaking itself up for a long time.... A lot of the rural areas like the idea, but the LA Metro likes being able to force their will on the rest of the State with 1000's of superfluous legal jargon that only applies to their region... Then it pisses San Francisco area off, and they end up in a pissing-contest with each other over who gets to create the most useless laws while the rest of the State gets fucked. A very dysfunctional set-up that stems from the most highly inhabited regions not being very self-sufficient, and feeling entitled to hand-outs because they have more cash.

Texas there might be a way-around, as they are per-approved on admission to add 3 additional States. There just isn't a mechanism for adding territory anymore, its all currently claimed.
Windwalker
Supporter

Return to Debate