"The U.S. and Canada: We Used to be Friends"

"The U.S. and Canada: We Used to be Friends"

Postby jonathan.jam » Feb 07, 2012 3:33 am

I found this article while researching the proposed new border crossing over the Detroit River. It is a couple months old, but still highly relevant. Do you think the reality that the author is trying to paint really exists now; are American politics hampering the well-intentioned projects of Canadians (and Americans for that matter) who are ready to start digging? I tend to think so... :( If we can't come together and build a bridge or a pipeline, I don't think we can expect annexation anytime soon. How long will we have to wait till the political system is changed in favor of our prospects...November 2012? :wink:

(I was trying to quote the whole text to prevent a dead-link, but I kept getting this message:
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]

Incorrect string value: '\xEF\xAC\x81cia...' for column 'post_text' at row 1 [1366])

The U.S. and Canada: we used to be friends
Why Barack Obama shelved the Keystone pipeline, and insulted Canada (yet again) in the process

by Luiza Ch. Savage on Monday, November 21, 2011 8:00am

No one was more surprised than TransCanada PipeLines Ltd. itself by the Obama administration’s decision to impose a fresh year or more delay on a permit for the Keystone XL pipeline—TransCanada’s proposed 2,673-km project that could transport more than 700,000 barrels of crude oil from the oil sands in Alberta to refineries in Oklahoma and the Gulf Coast of Texas. It had been heavily promoted by the governments of Canada and Alberta. And after two years of studies and drafts, the U.S. State Department had issued a final environmental assessment on Aug. 26 that had turned out to be even friendlier to the pipeline than supporters had been hoping for.

Indeed, the State Department concluded that there are “no significant impacts” to the environment along the route of the pipeline. The department also concluded that the pipeline would fill a need: even under a “low demand” outlook for oil, and even if there was increased fuel efficiency and a greater use of alternative energy sources, the hunger for Canadian crude oil would continue to grow among Gulf Coast refineries because supplies from countries such as Mexico and Venezuela are declining. Alternative transportation methods, such as trucking or rail, would add more emissions and run a higher risk of accidents than a pipeline. The project would not increase greenhouse gas emissions, State reasoned, because the oil would be produced for somebody to use in any case. And State also looked at 14 alternative routes and decided that none of them was preferable to the one proposed by TransCanada.

Then, little more than two months later, on Nov. 10, the State Department abruptly balked and declared the need for an additional study—one that would take a year or more—to look at an alternative pipeline route within the state of Nebraska that would avoid the Sand Hills area. That is a region of grass-covered sand dunes that covers a quarter of the state—and also Nebraska’s Ogallala aquifer, one of America’s largest underground sources of fresh water. The study is expected to delay a permit decision, which State had said would come by the end of December, until 2013. Had the project been approved on schedule, it could have started operating by then; the delay will push final approval for the project past the presidential election.

TransCanada was stunned. “We actually found out about it after others did,” company spokesperson Shawn Howard told Maclean’s. “It was a surprise. We thought the conclusions reached in the final environmental impact statement were pretty clear.” The company believed it had picked the best route. “The biggest issue was distance. This was the shortest route through that part of the state, and as a result it had the least amount of land disturbance and affected the fewest land-owners,” he said.

So what changed?

On one level, it looked like another in a long list of Obama White House affronts to Canada. The administration inserted protectionist “Buy American” language in the President’s jobs bill in September, despite Canada’s objections to similar language in his stimulus bill two years ago. The administration also ended an exemption for Canadians from a $5.50 travel fee to help offset the costs of a trade deal with Colombia. As well, talks on a much-hyped Canada-U.S. border accord have been dragging on inconclusively. Meanwhile, the world’s largest trading relationship continues to face a bottleneck at its busiest border crossing because the state of Michigan refuses to approve construction of a new bridge—which Canada calls its No. 1 infrastructure priority.

But in Washington, the pipeline decision looked less like a reflection of the state of what Canadians consider “The Relationship” between the two neighbours and more like another case of foreign collateral damage in an internal American power struggle. In this case, it was a hard-fought battle by environmentalists to put climate change back on the agenda of a President who had promised that his election would be “the moment when the rise of the oceans began to slow and our planet began to heal,” but then failed to deliver climate-change legislation. In short, the project was a casualty of the President’s effort to win back an important part of his political base ahead of the 2012 election.
http://www2.macleans.ca/2011/11/21/friends-like-these/
jonathan.jam
Supporter

Re: "The U.S. and Canada: We Used to be Friends"

Postby Americalex » Feb 07, 2012 9:06 am

Funny how the UK is getting similarly spat at by the E.U..

Maybe Canada needs to look to Britain and Norway for some type of arrangement. I personally dont mind letting the USA and the EU act as buffer states for us if it comes down to it.
Let's face it, islamo-humanity is hellbent on genociding judeo-christendom.
Americalex
Supporter

Postby JLinker613 » Feb 08, 2012 12:39 am

Believe me, Obama is gonna sign this thing through. The only reason he hasn't so far is because no matter what he says on the matter he is going to lose votes in the coming election, so he's pushing it off. You'd have to be a moron to pass off such an amazing offer: your northern neighbor, ally, and possible future expansion of territory is offering to increase its ties to your economy, and increase cooperation in creating a unified, mostly energy self sufficient, North American economy.
JLinker613
Supporter

Postby joahob » Feb 09, 2012 1:09 am

Americalex wrote:Funny how the UK is getting similarly spat at by the E.U..

Maybe Canada needs to look to Britain and Norway for some type of arrangement. I personally dont mind letting the USA and the EU act as buffer states for us if it comes down to it.

Arctic Union anyone?
The enclosure in which the citizens were mustered prior to casting their vote was known as the ovile, which literally means "sheep-pen".
joahob
Opponent

Postby jonathan.jam » Feb 09, 2012 7:07 pm

Nah...That's just wishful thinking. Harper is preparing for his bed for the Chinese to lay in now--in which he and Canada will end up getting raped. That's all that the news is talking about over here: "Har-po and Jia-na-da..." It sure is making the Chinese happy! :lol:

:?
jonathan.jam
Supporter

Postby joahob » Feb 09, 2012 7:40 pm

jonathan.jam wrote:Nah...That's just wishful thinking. Harper is preparing for his bed for the Chinese to lay in now--in which he and Canada will end up getting raped. That's all that the news is talking about over here: "Har-po and Jia-na-da..." It sure is making the Chinese happy! :lol:

I'm really excited about the deal allowing China to loan a pair of bamboo-munching giant pandas to zoos in Toronto and Calgary.

The enclosure in which the citizens were mustered prior to casting their vote was known as the ovile, which literally means "sheep-pen".
joahob
Opponent

Postby NWDave83 » Feb 18, 2012 12:14 am

Obama is a dunce.

I can only hope he will eventually agree.

sorry Canada.
NWDave83
Supporter

Postby Bayowolf » Feb 19, 2012 9:39 am

jonathan.jam wrote:Nah...That's just wishful thinking. Harper is preparing for his bed for the Chinese to lay in now--in which he and Canada will end up getting raped. That's all that the news is talking about over here: "Har-po and Jia-na-da..." It sure is making the Chinese happy! :lol:

I heard that the proposed pipeline across BC (so Athabasca oil can be shipped to China) has been cancelled by the BC government.
Those who fail to learn from the brutal stompings visited on them in the past are doomed to be brutally stomped in the future. ~~Raoul Duke, Christmas Eve, 1972

I may be on the side of the angels, but don’t think for one second that I’m one of them. ~~Bayowolf, November, 2016
Bayowolf
Supporter

Postby NWDave83 » Feb 19, 2012 11:52 pm

I dont understand all these enviro nazis, its not like just because they get a pipeline stoped that everyone is going to stop using gas. or that wont need to be transported to refineries, basicly they are making more carbon emissions by forcing it to be trucked to its location. MORONS!
NWDave83
Supporter

Postby AncientUno » Feb 20, 2012 6:29 pm

Regardless whether it it be China or the US, Canada will probably get raped in either case. Negotiating doesn't seem to be a strong point for Canada.
AncientUno
Opponent

Postby Clubtender » Feb 20, 2012 7:14 pm

Obama is an extremist. It is his goal to bring the current way of life to an end in the US. America can not be destroyed if North America is energy independent. If North America uses it's oil, natural gas and coal reserves, it will be energy independent. This means prosperity a prosperous people are next to impossible to subjugate. Energy costs have to be outrageously high to Obama's goal of crushing this nation into submission.

Of course we could just vote the Communist bastard out this year and avoid his goal of US self destruction.
Clubtender
Supporter

Postby NightShade » Feb 20, 2012 10:18 pm

Obama is an extremist Communist and Santorum is a sound and reasonable 'genius'.

Meanwhile, in reality, the US produced more oil in 2010 than it has since 2003, and all forms of energy production have increased. Natural gas has gone from an average of roughly $8 per unit in the mid-2000s to a current price below $3. I'm sure you'll remind me that this is due to private fracking, nothing to do with government. Yet I'll remind you, it was public research dollars, over the course of 30 years, that helped develop the technologies to extract all this natural gas out of shale rock.
"The government cannot force you to buy things. It can only tax you, draft you, seize and sell your property, arrest you, incarcerate you, and execute you. It cannot tell you to buy insurance, only a gecko can do that." - Stephen Colbert
NightShade
Opponent

Postby Clubtender » Feb 20, 2012 10:58 pm

Imagine how much more oil we would have if we were still drilling the Gulf, if we were drilling the Atlantic coast, if we were drilling the Pacific coast and if we were drilling ANWR. How about allowing new refineries to be built? Hell, if we tapped all of our resources, we could not only drop fuel prices to acceptable levels and create tens of thousands of jobs, but we could also export. How about liquid coal fuels that are interchangeable with gasoline and diesel that at least in 2009 could be produced for $60.00 a barrel? All of these things were nixed by the Democrats.

Not allowing the Keystone pipeline is only the Democrats latest treason.
Clubtender
Supporter

Postby herbie » Feb 21, 2012 12:02 am

I dont understand all these enviro nazis

Yup and with an attitude like that you never will. But it's for sure the day they want to ram a pipeline through your backyard and give nothing in return, you'll probably be one.
herbie
Opponent

Postby NWDave83 » Feb 21, 2012 12:24 am

actually you are wrong (like usual) we had a similar situation here in Seattle recently (a smaller city just north actually) where they wanted to open a coal depot to ship the stuff to China, it would have been a huge economic boost, everyone was for it, independent expert said it was safe (just like Keystone) it was just taking coal shipped from the appalachins by train putting it onto cargo ships and waving it bye while the chinese gave us some of our fucking money back.

nope "coal is yucky" say the enviros, nevermind that we were just shipping it, not burning it.

so now the chinese are giving money to some other place for the coal that they are burning anyway, and we still have thousands unemployed.

thats the point, these fossil fuels are going to be burned regardless, stoping the pipeline actually causes more fossil fuels to be burned just so the original ones can be transported to be burned, by idiots (like you) forcing the same fuel to be shiped by truck/train/ship you are hurting the enviroment. congrats!
NWDave83
Supporter

Postby Clubtender » Feb 21, 2012 12:26 am

herbie wrote:

Yup and with an attitude like that you never will. But it's for sure the day they want to ram a pipeline through your backyard and give nothing in return, you'll probably be one.

Yep, now it's going to run west across BC instead if south across the US.
Clubtender
Supporter

Postby NWDave83 » Feb 21, 2012 12:35 am

no, it'll still get built, after the election. just to appease the enviros.

Obama is willing to keep a couple hundred thousand Americans unemployed for another year and a half just so he can get re-elected, then he will get some of his good campaign supporters and donors big contracts with the oil companies in exchange for approving it after he is sworn in again.

its how shit works these days.
NWDave83
Supporter

Postby Clubtender » Feb 21, 2012 12:43 am

NWDave83 wrote:no, it'll still get built, after the election. just to appease the enviros.

Obama is willing to keep a couple hundred thousand Americans unemployed for another year and a half just so he can get re-elected, then he will get some of his good campaign supporters and donors big contracts with the oil companies in exchange for approving it after he is sworn in again.

its how shit works these days.

The asshole means it, he will continue to veto the pipeline. He wants his so called "green"(sic) shit even if it destroys all of our lives.
Clubtender
Supporter

Postby Bayowolf » Feb 22, 2012 2:22 am

Clubtender wrote:
herbie wrote:

Yep, now it's going to run west across BC instead if south across the US.

I wrote:I heard that the proposed pipeline across BC (so Athabasca oil can be shipped to China) has been cancelled by the BC government.
Those who fail to learn from the brutal stompings visited on them in the past are doomed to be brutally stomped in the future. ~~Raoul Duke, Christmas Eve, 1972

I may be on the side of the angels, but don’t think for one second that I’m one of them. ~~Bayowolf, November, 2016
Bayowolf
Supporter

Postby herbie » Feb 25, 2012 12:25 am

I heard that the proposed pipeline across BC (so Athabasca oil can be shipped to China) has been cancelled by the BC government.

Sorry Bayo, missed that.
No they didn't. They're actually all for it, but can't say so out loud.
Unlike the Harper Tories. Transport Canada just approved supertankers on the North Coast and in the Douglas Channel. No hearings needed, no matter every provincial and federal gov't before was 100% against supertankers anywhere near, de bossman said "jump".
herbie
Opponent

Next

Return to Debate