Annexation Facts - Canadian Convenience

Annexation Facts - Canadian Convenience

Postby Americalex » Nov 07, 2013 2:17 am

Here's what i'm planning so far, all input is open for discussion and improvement.I envision it in two segments: the first is negative showing the retarded aspects of the status quo. The second is positive and shows the everyday advantages to normal people of Annexation.

Inconvenineces of the status quo
Disparaging Rodeo music

* Shopping in US saves money but reduces wealth which leaves country, only solution is being same country
* Socialized healthcare equality of access principle forces people to go to US to skip long wait lines, again wealth leaves country. This could be addressed in a number of ways, but being a single country sure is a good way to fix the issue.
* Cost of goods often 20 to 30% higher than in the US, because of reduced competitoin
Reduced diversity of access to goods and services, because many companies simply dont want to be bothered with the added paperwork of international commerce
* Mobile costs are a big deal in Canada, but Lobbying prevents canadians from taking avantage of new ideas like google voice and skype one number, because the CRTC prevents them from purchasing phone number blocks in Canada
* Bilingual cereal boxes in BC and english only signs in quebec as per language being socialized federally in canada,
* 75% of working age population has zero possibility of working in the United States, hence has 10 times less opportunity to seek and find work

Conveniences of Annexation
Intelligent Innovation Music

* Person with high school degree can find work in hawaii at mcdonalds for example.
* Instantly improved quantitatively and qualitive buying power
* Increased disposable income through reduced taxes
* Help restart housing market by investing in undervalued homes currently out of reach
* Live, work, travel without red tape in the most developed economy on Earth
* Access to massive capital for regional development
* No more international roaming fees while vacationing anywhere in the US, including overseas territories like Puerto Rico
* Higher HDI means many provinces would actually benefit from American federal development-investment programs
* Improved road highway system as per national security prerogative
Americalex
Supporter

Re: Annexation Facts - Canadian Convenience

Postby -MM- » Nov 11, 2013 4:55 pm

Since you mentioned google voice and skype, I would say another inconvenience of status quo for canadians is that oftentimes you have to wait to get digital services, movies, tv, games. And oftentimes they are more expensive than in the US. For example, you cannot get tv shows, music, music all access on google play in canada. Same is true about some apps on PS3, XBox, iphone etc. This happens all the time and I always hear canadians complaining about that. Wouldn't happen if it was all the same country.

I also agree with the help with the housing market. There would probably be lots of incentives for citizens to buy real estate and live in Yukon, Northern Territories or Nunavut. I believe something similar was done for Alaska after it was bought.
-MM-
Supporter

Re: Annexation Facts - Canadian Convenience

Postby Americalex » Nov 11, 2013 5:04 pm

Yes, Hulu & Netflix especially,

Hulu is simply an annoyance because it won't work here. And the Netflix library is very limited in Canada as compared to the US version. Most people end up using proxies to access content.

Another thing I might include is how those NFL Superbowl commercials are completely unviewable in Canada, they patch on some cheap local commercials instead.

Thanks for your input, definitely food for thought of things to add in that clip. Here's the cowboy song I have in mind while spinning those inconveniences: Right-click + Open Link In New Tab http://www.annexation.ca/Country_Song.mp3
Americalex
Supporter

Return to Debate