Entry level integration idea.

Entry level integration idea.

Postby Formerdestination » Jun 05, 2016 2:42 pm

So I was thinking since Canada and the United States don't seem interested in unification currently. I was thinking maybe we could push for a lower key form of integration. I was thinking about maybe a sort of improved vassalage. The terms of the vassalage could be open borders, non voting representatives in each other's governments, a common currency, and perhaps a mild joining of military and from there we could work towards further integration. But this way Canada can retain its sports teams, its UN seat, and it's sterling reputation. But hey that's just an idea I had. This is my first post on here so I'm sorry if it's not up to format or topic.
Formerdestination

Re: Entry level integration idea.

Postby Americalex » Jun 21, 2016 6:58 pm

A Shenzen agreement so to speak?
"Entre le fort et le faible, c’est la liberté qui opprime et la loi qui affranchit." - Lacordaire
Americalex
Supporter

Postby Oakvale » Jun 22, 2016 7:30 pm

I think terming it "vassalage" probably isn't a good idea, but I do support the ideas.

There are several types of economic integration, but they all take place on an increasing level...

We already have a Free Trade Area - we have since the late 1980s - so the next step is a Customs Union where the U.S. and Canada adopt the same trade policies for other countries.

I've always supported beginning the annexation gradually, starting economically, over a sound 8-10 year period. By that point, the two countries would be aligned and have time to implement their shared policies, and be prepared to become one.
Oakvale
Supporter

Postby Formerdestination » Jun 24, 2016 4:41 pm

A Schengen Agreement is almost exactly what I was getting at.
Formerdestination

Postby -MM- » Jul 15, 2016 7:40 pm

Oakvale wrote:I think terming it "vassalage" probably isn't a good idea, but I do support the ideas.

There are several types of economic integration, but they all take place on an increasing level...

We already have a Free Trade Area - we have since the late 1980s - so the next step is a Customs Union where the U.S. and Canada adopt the same trade policies for other countries.

I've always supported beginning the annexation gradually, starting economically, over a sound 8-10 year period. By that point, the two countries would be aligned and have time to implement their shared policies, and be prepared to become one.

I can see something up to the economic level fairly quickly and pragmatically. The political union would be the one that would need some work, and probably big resistance from some provinces.
-MM-
Supporter

Postby Oakvale » Jul 17, 2016 4:26 am

-MM- wrote:
Oakvale wrote:I think terming it "vassalage" probably isn't a good idea, but I do support the ideas.

I can see something up to the economic level fairly quickly and pragmatically. The political union would be the one that would need some work, and probably big resistance from some provinces.

I think undoubtedly that further economic integration wouldn't be too challenging if you were to get the right leaders for it, and if they gave it their all. Old school Democrats and Liberals in the U.S. and Canada respectively seemed to work well together generally, though I'm not sure if that holds true today.

The economic benefits that would be coming into the provinces would likely soften them up to further integration.
Oakvale
Supporter

Return to Debate