Gary Doer - Great President for a unified North Americaa

Gary Doer - Great President for a unified North Americaa

Postby Oakvale » Jun 16, 2016 1:50 pm

Though not everyone has heard of him, Gary Doer was the Canadian Ambassador to the U.S. for about 7 years from 2009-2016. He was also of course the Premier of Manitoba for a decade, and was a wise, moderate leader.

He would make a fantastic Presidential candidate and indeed President if a merger of Canada and the U.S. were to go through.

This is his Wikipedia page, for more reading.
Oakvale
Supporter

Re: Gary Doer - Great President for a unified North Americaa

Postby Americalex » Jun 20, 2016 11:50 am

Would he be pro-annexation though? Few politicians dare favor this option for fear of alienating their voter base. Now, suppose an annexation had already occurred, I'm sure all of the political class would overnight reinvent themselves to accommodate the new reality, but getting there without at least a few credible actors willing to risk their reputation on it would build up to much momentum sadly.
"Entre le fort et le faible, c’est la liberté qui opprime et la loi qui affranchit." - Lacordaire
Americalex
Supporter

Re: Gary Doer - Great President for a unified North Americaa

Postby -MM- » Jul 15, 2016 7:41 pm

Americalex wrote:Would he be pro-annexation though? Few politicians dare favor this option for fear of alienating their voter base. Now, suppose an annexation had already occurred, I'm sure all of the political class would overnight reinvent themselves to accommodate the new reality, but getting there without at least a few credible actors willing to risk their reputation on it would build up to much momentum sadly.

If the countries were already economically integrated, I could see more politicians favoring a complete political union.
-MM-
Supporter

Return to Debate