US-Canada partisan divisions: How would it go?

US-Canada partisan divisions: How would it go?

Postby Nuke » Nov 25, 2017 9:47 pm

What do you guys think of this map of a hypothetical first US Presidential election featuring Canada?

Nuke
Supporter

Re: US-Canada partisan divisions: How would it go?

Postby Windwalker » Nov 28, 2017 3:50 pm

I could see an election panning out as indicated by the map above if the "Red" candidate was native of Ontario and had played some instrumental role in getting Canada to join the US (maybe that is how he or she convinced Canadians to join, so they could make that Candidate the new President?)

------

The power of 1 person is often underestimated in situations like this... The US probably wouldn't exist without George Washington, for example. (Rather as the man or as the symbol is irrelevant.)

------

Now that Prince Harry has made public with his decision to marry an American, maybe we can convince him to take over Ontario somehow and have it join the US, lol. A lot would probably depend on the political views and background of his bride-to-be in this scenario (if the goal were to make it fit the map above).
Windwalker
Supporter

Postby Nuke » Dec 02, 2017 10:12 pm

Windwalker wrote:I could see an election panning out as indicated by the map above if the "Red" candidate was native of Ontario and had played some instrumental role in getting Canada to join the US (maybe that is how he or she convinced Canadians to join, so they could make that Candidate the new President?)

------

The power of 1 person is often underestimated in situations like this... The US probably wouldn't exist without George Washington, for example. (Rather as the man or as the symbol is irrelevant.)

------

Now that Prince Harry has made public with his decision to marry an American, maybe we can convince him to take over Ontario somehow and have it join the US, lol. A lot would probably depend on the political views and background of his bride-to-be in this scenario (if the goal were to make it fit the map above).

Let's say it's Donald Trump -- how would you expect it to go?

Here's another one with "swing states" (mostly within Canada, but also Minnesota on the border) uncolored, and the three Canadian territories merged into the Republican state of Alaska.
Nuke
Supporter

Postby Bearsy » Dec 03, 2017 3:58 pm

I can't let it slip by a second time. That is the ugliest map of Ontario I have ever seen.
Radical Centrist
Bearsy
Opponent

Postby Windwalker » Dec 03, 2017 11:34 pm

Ontario (and probably Quebec and the maritimes) I just can't imagine would ever go "red" instead of "blue" in the short term, especially so if the gop candidate was The Donald.

--------

I think the short-term effect of simply adding the Provinces as States would be a Democrat controlled Senate and White House for the next several decades. To get momentum in Canada for a gop candidate, as I said before, would probably require that Candidate be a very charismatic leader with Canadian roots.

-------

On a side note, it turns out Charles had cheated on Diana with a Canadian woman, who produced a child about the same age as William and Harry (and who looks exactly like them). Maybe canada can cut-the-cord with the Monarchy and make this dude their King? How about Canada as its own Kingdom, they wouldnt even have to change any laws that way in the short-term, just change the language.

--------

Also, this whole idea of trying to project which states would go which way........ one could present a strong argument that this isnactually the REASON the idea of this merger has been stagnant for 100 years, neither of the major parties in the US wants to allow ANY new States if they think it would vote the other way. We are ham-stringing our own economy with billions in waste and innefficiency to maintain the status quo (that is, pettiness being the predominant philosophy in DC).
Windwalker
Supporter

Postby Americalex » Dec 05, 2017 2:16 pm

Could Washington be bypassed or rather, sidelined, put before a fait accompli by states if they moved to force a constitutional amendment that lets canada join without relying on congress to get the ball rolling?

Partisan politics is all a show like wrestling, and a lot of humanists swear by the feeling it fills them with, able to spam their hate on externalizations at the expense of getting completely played for fools to be laughed at.

One way to "convince washington" is to simply bring up the idea with the people who actually feed policies to the DC beast, the CFR. I'm planning on pitching the idea to them and that way the rest can simply chug along effortlessly.
Americalex
Supporter

Postby Windwalker » Dec 05, 2017 7:15 pm

There really is no precedent for new States at this time. It has been too long since the last time we had one.

Watching how PR unfolds will be interesting in that regard, and Pro-Statehood groups would be wise to take advantage of the media attention it will generate as PR transitions to Statehood.

I suppose the States could probably host a Constitutional Convention of some sort, and invite delegates from the Provinces to attend. Problem is, the bi-partizan sickness that currently ails us isn't isolated to DC, it has already metastasized into virtually all of our State level Legislative bodies as well.

Better to deal with 500 inept clowns than 100,000 inept clowns... Sort of the same logic as "voting for the lesser of 2 evils" as most American voters self-describe as doing on any given election day here.

--------

A good first step might be to gin-up interest enough in a majority of the State Legislatures for them to draft some sort of memorandum outlining how direct negotiations with the Provinces would work as such a massive level. A move like that (with the intent of bypassing DC) could probably still work in a top-down way in Canada via Canada giving the Provinces "permission" to participate in the discussion with the States.
Windwalker
Supporter

Postby Americalex » Dec 05, 2017 11:41 pm

I like it, and the best place to start would be all the states whose #1 trading partner is Canada!

Americalex
Supporter

Return to Debate